AG29 Timothy Taylor Landlord

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
NobbyIPA

AG29 Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by NobbyIPA » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:26 pm

I will be using pellet hops though and tailors use leaf

1litre Yeast starter in brew fridge is stirring away at 21c

Ready to brew 1st thing tomorrow

ArmChair
Under the Table

Re: AG29 Timothy Taylor Landlord

Post by ArmChair » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 am

Looking good!I shall be brewing a TTL brew in the next few weeks :)
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

Fido97

Post by Fido97 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:07 am

Looks like a nice ale but not much like TT landlord - way more hoppy.

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Fido97 wrote:Looks like a nice ale but not much like TT landlord - way more hoppy.
All the the clone recipes I've seen target around 30-31 ibus, that's what the beer tastes too.

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Your beer will be vastly better than the TTL that I tasted on my last three visits to Keighley.
I only managed a pint on each visit, it was unrecognisable compared with what Landlord used to taste like. I tried it in bottle relatively recently and it was just boring caramel aroma and taste. What annoys me is that people are still rating it highly on Ratebeer website and they obviously have no idea how it used to taste. Unless it has returned to form recently, Taylors have destroyed what used to be a fantastic beer.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:18 pm

kebabman wrote:Your beer will be vastly better than the TTL that I tasted on my last three visits to Keighley.
I only managed a pint on each visit, it was unrecognisable compared with what Landlord used to taste like. I tried it in bottle relatively recently and it was just boring caramel aroma and taste. What annoys me is that people are still rating it highly on Ratebeer website and they obviously have no idea how it used to taste. Unless it has returned to form recently, Taylors have destroyed what used to be a fantastic beer.
I first tasted TTL about 22/23 years ago. At that time it was a very hoppy ale by the standards of the day. It was quite a revelation and a difficult to find drink even where I lived not 40 miles from the brewery.
Fast forward to today and big, bold American and New World hops are all the rage.....lots and lots of late hops that produce a bitterness way bigger than the IBU would suggest and a lot beers that are just damn hoppy. I think it is probably this that has somewhat fogged the view of TTL.
I felt and thought the same as you kebabman until I actually analysed why I felt like that. Strip away modern tastes and fashion and I think it still retains its place as a classic pale ale in the English style.
Last edited by Mr. Dripping on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:20 pm

kebabman wrote:Your beer will be vastly better than the TTL that I tasted on my last three visits to Keighley.
What you have to remember is the ingredients will slightly differ from year to year, for example the oils and such in the 2012 crop of hops might be higher than the oils in the 2013 crop.

It could also be down to how it's served aswel, I had a shocking pint of landlord at the weekend. It doubt it was down to how it was brewed and more to do will the serving/cellarmanship.
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Recently returned to TTL, I don't reckon the bottled stuff has changed much. Are they still using styrians or is it now 'bobek' ?
I reckon its the ultimate beer for cheese and pickles. Must get some on the go. Love the stuff!

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:33 pm

micmacmoc wrote:Recently returned to TTL, I don't reckon the bottled stuff has changed much. Are they still using styrians or is it now 'bobek' ?...
Good question. I can't find any definite info from the brewery itself, but here's a popular American clone recipe version: Northern Brewer Innkeeper

They call for:

Fuggles (60 min), Kent Goldings (45 min), Styrian Goldings: Celeia (5 min)

and Wyeast 1469 yeast which is believed to be the real Timothy Taylor brewery strain

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:37 pm

I get what you are saying Mr Dripping and it may well be true, my return to home brewing in 2010 has made me far more critical of both my beer and commercial products and also of the poor condition that beer is served in at most Camra beer festivals.On my last visit to Keighley I saw the Landlord being changed as I walked into the Boltmakers pub so the cask was as fresh as possible but the flavour was nothing like I think that it was like only a few years before. It is one of the few beers that I think I have the taste of locked into my tongue/brain! The yeast and styrian goldings are the key, I know that styrians are now really three hops but may be the yeast has changed too?
Last edited by kebabman on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm

I know for a fact that Taylor's yeast is/was a multi strain yeast so that the yeast from Wyeast can never truly be Taylor's yeast as I doubt that it will be multi strain or never in the correct balance.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:48 pm

kebabman wrote:...It is one of the few beers that I think I have the taste of locked into my tongue/brain! The yeast and styrian goldings are the key, I know that styrians are now really three hops but may be the yeast has changed?
I think an "elephant in the room" no one likes to talk about is their use of kettle sugars. A lot of clone attempts are 100% Golden Promise pale malt, but in reality, Timothy Taylor almost certainly uses simple sugars for well more than 10% of the overall fermentables. If the quantity or quality of that one sizeable ingredient changes, discerning drinkers will definitely notice, even if everything else remains the same.
kebabman wrote:I know for a fact that Taylor's yeast is/was a multi strain yeast so that the yeast from Wyeast can never truly be Taylor's yeast as I doubt that it will be multi strain or never in the correct balance.
Good to know. The Wyeast is definitely a single-strain, so at best only one of the Timothy Taylor strains which would perform slightly differently. They erred similarly with Adnams and Ringwood too, so I'm not surprised.

NobbyIPA

Post by NobbyIPA » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:06 pm

omitted the flame out hops
Totally smooth going brew

27 litres in fermenter

11 brix 1.044
So maybe a tadge over gravity wise
Colour looks about right

Photos coming
Bottom of me boiler looked lonely with the tiny amount of hops in this one

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Any news Nobby?
Just formulating a landlordalike. Will probably use Neals English ale yeast and see how it goes.

Fuggley Duckling

Post by Fuggley Duckling » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:56 am

I brewed Graham Wheelers TTL recipe but also dry hopped it with 30g Styrian Goldings and it turned out very similar to the real thing. I fermented with Wyeast 1469.