AG #24 APA

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
joeskidmore

AG #24 APA

Post by joeskidmore » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Going to try my hand at a very aromatic and hoppy APA tomorrow and wanted some feedback on the recipe.

Code: Select all

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 54.89 l
Post Boil Volume: 52.52 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 50.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 49.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 45.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.6 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
10000.00 g            Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.0 EBC)         Grain         1        90.9 %        
500.00 g              Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (30.0 EBC)    Grain         2        4.5 %         
500.00 g              Corn, Flaked (1.0 EBC)                   Grain         3        4.5 %         
80.00 g               Challenger [6.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 mi Hop           4        28.9 IBUs     
20.00 g               Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           5        3.2 IBUs      
30.00 g               Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           6        2.7 IBUs      
20.00 g               Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.30 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop           7        2.4 IBUs      
30.00 g               Cascade [9.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 Hop           8        4.1 IBUs      
20.00 g               Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.30 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop           9        3.7 IBUs      
2.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         10       -             
100.00 g              Cascade [7.30 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      
60.00 g               Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.30 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Hop           12       0.0 IBUs      
40.00 g               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days     Hop           13       0.0 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11000.00 g
----------------------------
Name                 Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In              Add 30.00 l of water at 73.4 C          66.6 C        60 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 36.65 l water at 75.6 C
Any feedback on hop combinations is very welcome. I have loads I have to use up so could easily swap any of the additions around with something else.

Cheers,
- Joe

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: AG #24 APA

Post by seymour » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:49 am

Sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet. In any case, I think the recipe looks great. Nice grainbill ratios, nice abv strength, nice hop timings. You're smart to use Mosaic late like that, its aroma is much better than its bitterness, in my opinion.

Did you brew it, and if so, how's it turning out?

AnthonyD

Post by AnthonyD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:22 am

Looks a good and interesting grain bill with the use of corn in the grist.

I would have been tempted to drop the Challenger and maybe used your first addition at 20mins with loads of Cascade, giving it a good old hopburst of flavour.
The Mosaic and Amarillo combo will give you some nice interplay between citrus and berry fruit. Good choice.

Let us know how you get on with it if it's already brewed.

joeskidmore

Post by joeskidmore » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Cheers Seymour, the smell of Mosaic when opening the packet was extremely pungent.

Anthony, I was tempted not to use it but I was given almost a kilo of it recently so needed to use a bit as SWMBO was complaining about room in the freezer.

I brewed this on the 13th and all went particularly well...other than not recording the OG *doh* Gravity is down to 1.012 and I dry hopped two days ago. Should be ready to keg either tomorrow or Friday.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Should be good. I think Mosaic is very interesting in American ales and you can immediatly tell it's in the beer upon first taste as it is extremely fruity and unique. I think you are smart to combine it with Amarillo as at least in my opinion it would be a bit over the top by itself. I think this year I'll do an American wheat ale and feature that hop as I think the mellon taste you get with it might go well with a lighter hopped beer like that. I also wonder how that hop would work in Belgian inspired beers; I need to give that one some thought; maybe a Pater's bier with a little late Mosaic just for fun?
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Barley Water wrote:Should be good. I think Mosaic is very interesting in American ales and you can immediatly tell it's in the beer upon first taste as it is extremely fruity and unique. I think you are smart to combine it with Amarillo as at least in my opinion it would be a bit over the top by itself. I think this year I'll do an American wheat ale and feature that hop as I think the mellon taste you get with it might go well with a lighter hopped beer like that. I also wonder how that hop would work in Belgian inspired beers; I need to give that one some thought; maybe a Pater's bier with a little late Mosaic just for fun?
Speaking of which, I was at a microbrewery last night to taste their kellerbier, a nice fresh, balanced, 5% abv, low IBU, unfiltered American pilsener-ish kinda thing. They had a second batch sitting in the bright tank, and when the second-shift brewer came along a week ago, he thought it was the Imperial IPA and dumped in a shit-ton of Mosaic dry hops. I tasted that one last night too. It was an odd contrast. Still super light and grainy, not very bitter, but with a huge fruity hop aroma as you described. Nothing like an IPA, I was surprised how different a dry-hopped lager actually could be. And of course all those hop resins killed the head retention and made for a hazy beer, but that's to be expected. I can't say I loved the overall affect, but it was definitely different from any other beer I've tasted (which is saying a lot.)

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: AG #24 APA

Post by zgoda » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Mosaic is super fruity but lacks in citrus department. Really shines with strong citrus hops like Centennial, Simcoe or Chinook as backbone. My preferred combo is with Centennial.

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:59 am

zgoda wrote:Mosaic is super fruity but lacks in citrus department. Really shines with strong citrus hops like Centennial, Simcoe or Chinook as backbone. My preferred combo is with Centennial.
I agree, Centennial to bitter and then matched late in the boil and dry hop with the Mosaic has become my favourite house brew.

They sit perfectly together.

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:16 am

Hi Joe. I've been reading about bitter/sweet ratios and notice this brew has a ratio of 1. (IBU/OG - 45/45)
How did the brew turn out taste wise? Is it more on the bitter side? This is not a criticism by the way, just something I'm trying to get my head round when inventing recipes.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I can't say I loved the overall affect, but it was definitely different from any other beer I've tasted (which is saying a lot.)
I think that's the most downbeat thing i've read from a Seymour beer review. It must have been aweful.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Aaron wrote:
I can't say I loved the overall affect, but it was definitely different from any other beer I've tasted (which is saying a lot.)
I think that's the most downbeat thing i've read from a Seymour beer review. It must have been aweful.
That's funny! :) But no, I can actually be pretty merciless. For instance, some of these Ratebeer entries (I've published nearly 1600 reviews, so there were bound to be some bad ones):
Bud Light Chelada
So absolutely disgusting it nearly defied description. Tasted from gas-station can into snifter. It poured a bizarre orangish-pink color with weird soda-like foam which immediately dissipated. Aromas and flavors of stomach bile, no exaggeration. Gross, gross, gross. I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to use the glass again. I’m still ingrigued by the real-deal Mexican beer cocktails, but Anheuser-Busch, you should be ashamed of yourselves!
Sea Dog Wild Blueberry
Truly disgusting. If there was such a thing as fizzy artificial blueberry flavored Nyquil, it would taste better than this swill. Save yourself!
Tequiza
Tasted from bottle at a party. Awful, just awful. Base is a bad macro adjunct lager with loads of nasty candy flavors. Metallic, soapy, stale, chemical, offensive. Why?!

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Well you know you can joke around but if I feed somebody my beer and they don't care for it I hope they tell me. Of course my next question is going to be; "what exactly don't you care for?" Since I know what goes into every beer I've made sometimes I just miss stuff. At the end of the day though, it doesn't help me at all if somebody blows sunshine up my rear end; if it sucks tell me, I can't fix stuff I don't know is broke. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

joeskidmore

Post by joeskidmore » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:30 pm

chris.laws.54943 wrote:Hi Joe. I've been reading about bitter/sweet ratios and notice this brew has a ratio of 1. (IBU/OG - 45/45)
How did the brew turn out taste wise? Is it more on the bitter side? This is not a criticism by the way, just something I'm trying to get my head round when inventing recipes.
To be honest with you Chris, I've never looked too closely at the ratios when developing a recipe (just bung it in and see what happens). My descriptions of taste aren't the best but I'll give you an idea of how it's turned out: very well carbonated with a nice foamy head - quite a lot of grapefruit aromas and flavours with hints of lemon and citrus notes - not overly bitter and I'm not detecting any sweetness...definitely a lingering bitterness on the tongue which isn't unpleasant. As BW said earlier, you can definitely tell Mosaic is in the mix as the beer is poured.
Untitled-1.jpg
I have to confess that I had a session on it yesterday and it is a definite winner that I'm happy with. I kegged it Friday and have had it pressurised at 18psi so it's still young.

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Looks bloody delicious! I'll get round to posting my next brew to see what people think of the recipe. It'll be a "session" APA (on the low side 4.5%abv) with summit and Amarillo. Going for heavy hop flavour/aroma.