Making a simple English Mild.

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Kyle_T
Mild King

Re: Making a simple English Mild.

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Honk wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:22 pm
I would like to give something like this a go, but with 95% pale malt, 5% chocolate malt and 11% invert no 3 sugar, something does not quite add up I think?

Also if using a combination of golden syrup and black treacle to replace the invert no3 do you know the percentages of each to use?
As I learnt when making Mild like a mad man, a lot of the old breweries used sugar as a percentage of the total grain bill, ie: a 3kg grain bill would also use 330g of sugar to boost the gravity to the target SG, the first Mild I made was this:

Ridleys Mild
13A. Dark Mild

Recipe Specs
—————-
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.997
Total Hops (g): 51.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.034 (°P): 8.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007 (°P): 1.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.54 %
Colour (SRM): 19.3 (EBC): 37.9
Bitterness (IBU): 24.2 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
—————-
2.565 kg Maris Otter Malt (85.59%)
0.297 kg Invert Sugar No. 3 (9.91%)
0.135 kg Black Patent (4.5%)

Hop Bill
—————-
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
17.0 g Fuggles Pellet (4.9% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
14.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (2.7% Alpha) @ Cask (Dry Hop) (0.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
—————-
1/2 Protofloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
30.0 ml Brewers Caramel @ Cask (Racking)
Mash at 68°C for 90 minutes.

Cheers.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:12 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Hi Kyle T ,
Now for the tricky part !! ;
When calculating the weight of malt , and the sugars weights , follow this quick route:
Calculate the wort composition (weight of ingredients to the mash run) at the expected gravity @ copper/ boil up , eg 85% Pale Ale, 7% Crystal Malt, 5% Amber Malt, 3% Terrified Wheat to say 1.034° on an OG of 1.050 , leaving roughly 1.010° as the condensing ° , so the gravity would be around 1.044-5° at the sugar addition point , and around 1.052° at the end of the boil , with some liquoring back to attain target og .
That's a rough rule to follow , though a great deal depends on style & comparative gravity and desired taste etc .
Hope that helps,
Cheers
Edd
Hello Edd,

Thanks for the information, whilst the maths goes above my head I can see the practice behind it in respect of adding sugar within the last 15 minutes of the boil at the home brew level, using the simple method of making the sugar addition a percentage weight of the grain works if you are less academically inclined, such as myself and once you know what to expect gravity wise, targets are easy to achieve.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 pm

I once spoke to Michael Gray and some of the brewing ledgers exist back to 1880 or just before in the Essex Records Office, as for Ridley's, Greene King has them languishing in the back of a damp cellar and aren't going to let people have access to them any time soon.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks Edd, Dutton's mild is now on the brewing list although it will be a few weeks before it reaches the front of the queue. Since first drank in 1962 in a Dutton's pub in Penruddock, I'm unsure when it was consumed last, but it's been yearned for a long time. That hop schedule might well be what made the beer what it was.

I've no mild malt in stock, so thinking at present to substitute Munich malt, which might help it get nearer the original colour. Interesting choice of yeast.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:11 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi Eric,
If you're using Munich malt , drop the % by 1/2 and replace with pale ale malt , might need to play with the caramel for colour correction though ,
Best Regards
Edd
Thanks Edd, didn't see the caramel and with no mild malt thought Munich would get nearer the colour. Will have another look at what is in stock and having caramel to hand will bear in mind what you advised.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Eric wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks Edd, didn't see the caramel and with no mild malt thought Munich would get nearer the colour. Will have another look at what is in stock and having caramel to hand will bear in mind what you advised.
I've read that some brewers go with vienna malt in place of mild.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Once I'm able to brew again I've got to do a mild.
I'll probably have to brew with extracts for a while, anyone have any good extract mild recipes?
I'm just here for the beer.

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:51 am

Great revisiting for a read!👍

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:38 pm

One of my favourite (if not my very favourite) styles. I'll read this thread from beginning to end and see what I can glean. My favourite commercial brand, which I haven't tasted for a decade or two, used to be Elgood's Black Dog.
Mild malt isn't always readily available and I used Crisp's Vienna malt (not continental Vienna) malt. It's English 2-row, spring barley roasted to the colour of mild malt- hence, it's mild malt as far as I'm concerned.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:41 pm

An Ankoù wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:38 pm
One of my favourite (if not my very favourite) styles. I'll read this thread from beginning to end and see what I can glean. My favourite commercial brand, which I haven't tasted for a decade or two, used to be Elgood's Black Dog.
Mild malt isn't always readily available and I used Crisp's Vienna malt (not continental Vienna) malt. It's English 2-row, spring barley roasted to the colour of mild malt- hence, it's mild malt as far as I'm concerned.
Braumarkt sometimes have mild malt in stock
Here it is.
https://www.braumarkt.com/en/fawcett-mild-ale-1-kg
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:01 pm

IPA wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:41 pm
An Ankoù wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:38 pm
Braumarkt sometimes have mild malt in stock
Here it is.
https://www.braumarkt.com/en/fawcett-mild-ale-1-kg
Thanks IPA. I can't afford their prices as they don't seem to do it be the sackful, but thanks for reminding me about braumarkt. I had stopped using them as, in spite of their promises to fix it, I couldn't delete anything from my basket. I even opened a second account and messed that one up too. They seem to have fixed it at last. I liked using them as their delivery charge works on a decreasing scale: instead of increasing with weight, it decreases with money spent- a novelty, but fun nonetheless. I'll have a good browse this evening.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:11 pm

I've been waiting for this stuff to make an appearance: Table Malt. The Malt Miller list it now but its showing "out-of-stock".
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:21 pm

Have been using a mix of Swaen Pale and Swaen Vienna malts for Mild Malt for a while. Unfortunately Braumarkt no longer ship to UK. A shame because it was good and also cheap. Fortunately I've still some left.

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm

A long time ago but merry monk was good but I particularly liked chesters dark mild Remember thinking it looked like Guinness!
Last edited by fatcontro11er on Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fr_Marc
Steady Drinker

Post by Fr_Marc » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Great thread! Put the Mild directly on my to-brew-list. Which water profile do you suggest? Cheers! Marc