Help needed

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
big yogi
Tippler

Help needed

Post by big yogi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi guys i am away to start a new chapter in my hobby, i got some ingredients to make a guiness clone for xmas.
since this is my first time for the grain brew,I have looked at a few recipes, can someone recommend a recipe that they have done? or any tips i need to know, anything would e appreciated guys.

I don't wont to spoil my first batch :D

gnorwebthgimi

Re: Help needed

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:00 am

Hi Yogi

I guess you're going for a pale malt and roasted barley?

I would be tempted to add a little unmalted barley and a little oats to provide good head retention and a heavy mouth feel.

The yeast is fairly key to reproducing similar brews. WLP004 is "the yeast from one of the oldest stout producing breweries in the world". Although guiness is fairly neutral in flavours from the yeast, IMO.

I would go with something like magnum for the bittering hops as they are quite flavour neutral.

One word of caution:

Trying to clone a beer is a difficult to get right. It's easy to make a good beer it's much harder to make a specific good beer. Your set up and water mineral content may make a better blonde ale for example, you only learn this from experimentation.

Best of luck an keep us up to date!

Fuggley Duckling

Post by Fuggley Duckling » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:49 am

I have clone recipes in a couple of books but don't have them handy at the moment. I can't remember gravity or hop type used but both recipes definitely state 70% pale malt, 10% roasted barley and 20% flaked barley. IBUs are around 40-45.

bquiggerz

Post by bquiggerz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:16 am

Guinness is a hard one to copy as I have found out. But you CAN be a stout that is as good or even better than it. Just not the same. In my experience anyway, and then it depends what type of Guinness you want to clone, draught is the hardest as the smoothness is created with the use of a nitrogen-carbon dioxide mix

gnorwebthgimi

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:23 pm

I also found my attempt to brew something akin to Guiness was nothing close. However, it was pretty good.

It could have done with tasting a little drier from additional hop bitterness.

Esme

Post by Esme » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:27 pm

C cl

big yogi
Tippler

Post by big yogi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:00 pm

gnorwebthgimi wrote:Hi Yogi

I guess you're going for a pale malt and roasted barley?

I would be tempted to add a little unmalted barley and a little oats to provide good head retention and a heavy mouth feel.

The yeast is fairly key to reproducing similar brews. WLP004 is "the yeast from one of the oldest stout producing breweries in the world". Although guiness is fairly neutral in flavours from the yeast, IMO.

I would go with something like magnum for the bittering hops as they are quite flavour neutral.

One word of caution:

Trying to clone a beer is a difficult to get right. It's easy to make a good beer it's much harder to make a specific good beer. Your set up and water mineral content may make a better blonde ale for example, you only learn this from experimentation.

Best of luck an keep us up to date!
Thanks for the reply, i normally make stout kits with an aditional black treackle and chocolate which i serve with 70/30 nitrogen, so this is totaly different for me.

I have unmalted flaked barley-500g
premium grade malt extract -1.5 kg
roasted barley 500g
warrior pellets 100g
northern brewer pellets 100g
gypsum
irish moss

The problem is i have not found a recipe with all this ingredients or would i need to add to it :shock: yes you noticed, he never bought the yeast :lol:
To be honest i am not to worried if its not the same as guiness as i will drink anything that i brew :D

big yogi
Tippler

Post by big yogi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Fuggley Duckling wrote:I have clone recipes in a couple of books but don't have them handy at the moment. I can't remember gravity or hop type used but both recipes definitely state 70% pale malt, 10% roasted barley and 20% flaked barley. IBUs are around 40-45.
thanks for the reply, Is the malt extract the same as pale malt?