Saisson Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Saisson Recipe

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi There Guys
Any you guys got a good tried andtested saisson Recipe. wouldappreciate any offers.
Regards
Patch

AnthonyUK

Re: Saisson Recipe

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:34 pm

It can be the simplest of recipes. Simple grain bill with mainly a pale malt, simple hop schedule with your preferred hop but noble hops are usual. A small amount of sugar is optional to help with attenuation and a Saison yeast of which even the dried ones such as Belle Saison or MJ Belgian ale are ok. I prefer not to add any spices but that is optional too.
The style is so loose that it is really up to you.

This one of mine worked out really well.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/ ... old-saison

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:38 pm

This is the basic grist that I use for a saison.
For an OG of 1053
68% pale malt
16% Pilsner malt
10% Munich malt
6% wheat malt
EKG for around 25 IBU boil 90 mins
EKG for around 5 IBU boil 10 mins

At the end of the boil I usually add a jar of orange blossom honey.

Yeast - I've had good results with belle saison.
Mash at 64 degrees, this will help dry the beer out which is what you want with this style.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

This is a nice simple base - from that you can add whatever else you want. It's good for using up random odd ends of grains you have:

83% Pilsner malt
10% flaked wheat
7% sugar (add to boil)
Any noble hop (I like Saaz, the French ) - 23IBU @ 60 min, and then the same weight split between 10 and 5 minutes.
Yeast of your choice (I like WLP565, but you need to know how to use it)

Mash at 64C for 75mins.

SG 1.047
FG 1.007 or lower

Using WLP565 - make a good size ale starter, although it should be warm - 20-25C. Ferment at 25C for 48 hours then let it go - I bump it 1C per day until I hit 31C and leave it there until done, it shouldn't need more than a week. Some people find it stalls out at 1.020 and then restarts 1-2 weeks later. Not had this myself but I've not made high gravity saisons. I also don't use an airlock - I just ferment with the lid on loose - and some people have suggested that for some reason this yeast doesn't like air locks. It's worth the effort - the yeast provides great flavours.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:50 am

I also should add - make sure you carbonate to 3 volumes. It needs to be spritzy, as that compensates for the dry body.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:11 am

I agree with everything Jocky apart from the ferment temp.
The optimum temps from the specs are 20-24°c. My preference is at the low end of this and then let it rise after 48 hrs.
Both will work and it depends on just how 'Belgian' you want it.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:49 am

AnthonyUK wrote:I agree with everything Jocky apart from the ferment temp.
The optimum temps from the specs are 20-24°c. My preference is at the low end of this and then let it rise after 48 hrs.
Both will work and it depends on just how 'Belgian' you want it.
Is that with WLP565? For any other saison yeast I'd agree with you, but in this case I took my cues here from what Brasserie Dupont do.

Having said that, I do like my belgian ales to be recognisably belgian but this certainly doesn't punch you in the face with bananas, bubblegum and alcohol - possibly because I'm only straying far from the 'optimum' temperatures after the first 48 hours.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:09 am

The specs are listed right at the bottom of the page - http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp565-b ... on-i-yeast

These are the sorts of flavours associated with the different temperature profiles so yours Jocky should be somewhere in between.

WLP 565 Saison 1 (Heated – straight to 85F)
Deep, dry spice, black pepper, dry as hell, slightly medicinal.

WLP 565 Saison 1 (Free Rise to Ambient)
Fruit, cherries, subdued spices, more balanced with a sneaking of malt – still dry, but not overly so.

serum

Post by serum » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:02 am

I'd go with 90% pilsner, 10% wheat for grains, then a bit of sugar.

Something like 4.5kg pils, 500g wheat and 500g sugar.

Styrian Goldings, EKG or Saaz are great, go for about 30IBU with a decent bit right at the end.

WLP565 can take a lot of heat. I find the specs on the manufacturer's websites about attenuation and heat are often way out. You can start high with it and still not get fusels. I started a culture grown from Dupont yeast at about 28 in the summer and it was fine. Nice and fruity with no hot alcohol whatsoever. Alternatively you can start it low and ramp it up at the end to finish. It might take up to 3 weeks so stick with it.

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:37 pm

I've just done a recipe I got from Drew Beechum on one of the BeerSmith podcasts. (They're on YouTube and worth looking up.) He says his go-to saison is about 90% Pilsner malt and 8% oats. It's looking good in the fermenter. I've used less than 5% amber malt (Crisp which is lighter than others) with excellent results.
I've used EKG and Saaz with great results. To give you an alternative to the noble ideas above, though, this time I'm hopping with Pacific Jade. It's 20 IBU with no hops after 10min to the end and it's smelling very promising. I've also had good results with Sorachi Ace which is an idea I got from commercial saisons.
Palm sugar is excellent as it adds to the spritzy texture Jocky was talking about.
Let us know how it goes.
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:48 am

I have a saisson and have two keezers running one at 10.5 degrees for beet/ale and the lager fridge at 4.5 degrees,which fridge should I keep it in for serving? I note that it should be carbonated to 3 above so I'm thinking lager fridge so that it can be served without just being froth! Any comments welcome on carbonation levels and serving temperature!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:18 am

Saisons were brewed on individual farms with whatever grains and adjuncts were available so there's a lot of leeway in recipe formulation.
I'm just here for the beer.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am

Wozboy wrote:I have a saisson and have two keezers running one at 10.5 degrees for beet/ale and the lager fridge at 4.5 degrees,which fridge should I keep it in for serving? I note that it should be carbonated to 3 above so I'm thinking lager fridge so that it can be served without just being froth! Any comments welcome on carbonation levels and serving temperature!
You could get away with either temperature, although it should have high carbonation. Why not try the cooler one and let it warm up and see which you prefer?