Strong American Porter

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Strong American Porter

Post by Hanglow » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Maize, to me, appears to be more mexican in origin at least in its domestication, and therefor will be deported under your new glorious leaders world view. Consider something else please for future brews :) I suggest pure kentucky grown freedom as your grain.

looks good though. I have a stout with chocolate rye that is just reaching a good maturation, I shall be devouring it over the next few weeks and months

When I brew the fullers london porter clone, it has about 12% brown in it I think, it tends to take at east 6 weeks from bottling to settle down into what I want. great malt though

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 am

Hanglow wrote:Maize, to me, appears to be more mexican in origin at least in its domestication, and therefor will be deported under your new glorious leaders world view. Consider something else please for future brews :) I suggest pure kentucky grown freedom as your grain.
Future President-for-life Trumpelstiltskin notwithstanding, maize (or corn, as we call it here) is entirely American. There are a group of states referred to as the Corn Belt. Before railroads, so much of the corn crop would rot before getting to market, that it started the American whiskey industry (late 18th century) as a means of preserving value - and led to the TV show Moonshiners. The proliferation of whiskey led to Prohibition, a sad period in our history.

Corn works well with American barley-malt, which is higher in protein than UK or Euro malt. That is, if you use 10% or less: we're not making Bugeyeser. That brings the total protein level to roughly the level of UK/Euro mashes.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:20 am

I know it is very american but I thought it originated in mexico

I guess a bit like sauerkraut, it's german/polish but originated in china with the mongols bringing it west

I'll admit to being catastrophically wrong though :) unlike others :)

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:24 am

Hanglow wrote:I know it is very american but I thought it originated in mexico

I guess a bit like saurkraut, it's german/polish but originated in china with the mongols bringing it west

I'll admit to being catastrophically wrong though :) unlike others :)
No, you're right, it probably originated in the Mayan culture.

But beer originated in the Middle East, yet somehow you won't abandon it due to Brexit. :lol:

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 am

Please stop using logic :)

Beer is a gift of the Gods (or random chance) and bestowed upon us to enjoy as we see fit. I shall not accept any other view as I am right.

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:47 am

Hanglow wrote:Please stop using logic :)

Beer is a gift of the Gods (or random chance) and bestowed upon us to enjoy as we see fit. I shall not accept any other view as I am right.
I read that to my wife and it made her laugh. :D

My view is that it was chance that led us to discover alcoholic fermentation. Our ancestors may not have known much, but they knew enough to preserve that bit of knowledge.

Look, I'm all for cultural appropriation in the kitchen. I'll at least try anything any large group of people eats or drinks. So if we've elevated a middle-eastern fermented gruel to an art, I'm fine with that.

I've appropriated Limoncello and Athol Brose, Scotch eggs (which you guys stole from India), and my wife. :D

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 am

:lol:

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:14 pm

Laripu wrote:
Look, I'm all for cultural appropriation in the kitchen. I'll at least try anything any large group of people eats or drinks. So if we've elevated a middle-eastern fermented gruel to an art, I'm fine with that.
Yeh Boy! :D

WA

art? Surely you mean `Fine Art`? :D

And No, I did not call you Shirley.

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:01 am

Update: It's completely smoothed out now and very good. I'm having one right now. :)

The differences to the US version:
1. UK version has slightly more porter-like flavour, probably due to the brown malt.
2. UK version's treacle is slightly more apparent than US molasses.
3. UK version has no head: it is lacking in protein. Lesson: UK base malt can't support maize and jaggery and treacle. Next time I'd leave out half the jaggery, and add a pound of wheat malt; for the protein.
4. UK version has thinner mouthfeel, probably for the same reason as for 3 above. On the other hand, that makes it a bit more drinkable.

All in all, both were good porters, and I'd be proud to serve either to anyone. Which I would choose on any given night would depend on mood and food.