Volcanic stout

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Volcanic stout

Post by DaveyT » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:09 am

Happy New Year one and all
I'm trying to formulate a black beer that reflects the volcanic nature of the island that I live on, Gran Canaria. I want it to be toasty and roasty and slightly smokey. I've been in the UK for the festive season and pretty disappointed with the blandness of the black beers I've tried so I want something with depth and layers of flavour. But then I want something that is light enough to encourage me to drink a few in a row, esp as it's pretty mild out there.
Here's a recipe that I've come up with:

Batch size: 14l, OG 1.045

Munich malt 1.5kg 55%
Amber malt (Crisp) 400g 15%
Pale ale malt 300g 12%
Brown malt 250g 9%
Smoked malt (Weyerman) 250g 9%

To get the proper colour and flavour, I'm undecided between black malt, roast barley, chocolate male, Special B and Carafa III. AND I've just picked up some chocolate rye malt just to confuse things further. So, any comments of the recipe would be gratefully received and any advice on how to finish it off would also be great.
My plan is to split the batch into three so I'll have three options to play with. I'll be using Fuggles and Windsor yeast, if that helps.

Cheers
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

pantsmachine

Re: Volcanic stout

Post by pantsmachine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:59 am

You can go a long way with chocolate malt but be careful of your roast and black additions as they can easily dominate. If it's a 5 gallon batch you could easily add 100 grmms of roast and a 1/2 kilo of chocolate malts and neither would dominate.

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:52 pm

That sounds like more chocolate malt than I'm used to which I like the sound of as I've got loads to get shot of. Would half a kilo work out as about ten per cent? Would you add the roast with it as well? I feel I ought to be trying to minimise the number of different malts to keep it simple. I do like the way chocolate malt supports roast barley, though, when they're together.
Bill Hicks

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:14 pm

I'm planning on brewing this this afternoon and I'm wondering whether it's too complicated. Is there any way I can simplify it?
I'm wondering whether the Munich will bring too much caramel and, therefore, should be replaced by pale malt. Also, would the brown malt be needed if I'm using smoked malt?
Should I simplyify it? Is it OK as it is?
The recipe is based on ideas from lots of different sources and I'm worried it'll turn out as a bit of a mess.
So many decisions!
Bill Hicks