Honey Substitute?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Honey Substitute?

Post by MarkA » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm planning to brew Greg Hughes' English Barley Wine in a couple of weeks. The recipe calls for 500g of Honey, which I don't eat.

I thought Maple Syrup might work, but could work out expensive and I'm not sure if the flavour would be too strong. Maybe I could use half Maple Syrup/half Golden Syrup?

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Cheers

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Honey Substitute?

Post by seymour » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Sure, either way. Or white table sugar. Or simply more malt.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 pm

I'd go with golden syrup. It'll be a bit more toffee-ish than honey, but should work

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks for your replies. I did consider adding more malt to bump up the ABV but wondered if it would take away some of the character honey would give. I know my version won't have the taste of honey but I assumed it would have a dry taste to it that golden syrup will also add? I think I'll try that and see how it goes (it'll be an excuse to try another batch later on with sugar or maple syrup to see what the difference in taste will be, purely experimental of course!) :)

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:37 pm

If you just want tge dryness save the pennies as Seymour said and use table sugar
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm

alix101 wrote:If you just want tge dryness save the pennies as Seymour said and use table sugar
+1

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:26 pm

MarkA wrote:Thanks for your replies. I did consider adding more malt to bump up the ABV but wondered if it would take away some of the character honey would give. I know my version won't have the taste of honey but I assumed it would have a dry taste to it that golden syrup will also add? I think I'll try that and see how it goes (it'll be an excuse to try another batch later on with sugar or maple syrup to see what the difference in taste will be, purely experimental of course!) :)
There is a "Honey Malt" you could use. Out of interest, why dont/wont/cant you drink real honey ? You could also look at Agave Nectar if you were feeling flush....
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Palm sugar is also a little more expensive but could be interesting.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Cheers, I'm looking to brew this in a few weeks and I think I'll try just adding sugar. How much sugar would be the equivalent to 500g of Honey?
Pinto wrote:There is a "Honey Malt" you could use. Out of interest, why dont/wont/cant you drink real honey ? You could also look at Agave Nectar if you were feeling flush....
I don't like the flavour honey gives to food or drink, but don't mind it too much on its own. I must admit, I haven't heard of honey malt but would be willing to give it a try in a brew. Does a small amount would go a long way, or is it quite subtle?

man_beach
Steady Drinker

Post by man_beach » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:59 pm

I haven't seen the recipe but surely the reason for honey in a recipe is to impart a honey flavour and aroma. If you don't like honey, why pick a recipe that includes it? Whatever substitutes you make, it won't be what was intended by Greg.

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:34 pm

MarkA wrote:I don't like the flavour honey gives to food or drink, but don't mind it too much on its own. I must admit, I haven't heard of honey malt but would be willing to give it a try in a brew. Does a small amount would go a long way, or is it quite subtle?
Honey can have all sorts of flavours (and colours) depending on the source of the nectar the bees found to make it. I find English honey (which is usually going to be a blend from all sorts of sources) to have quite a different flavour from cheap imported honeys even when both are purchased from a supermarket. What used to be called "creamed honey" (the pale cream-coloured honey that doesn't run) can have a different flavour again as it's often made using honey that crystallises very quickly (honey produced from oilseed rape nectar, for example).

So experimentation may be worthwhile. If you can find a local beekeeper who sells honey they might be able to suggest something that wouldn't be overpowering.

Or, as has already been said, just use sugar. Honey is mostly a mixture of fructose and glucose, so not massively different in terms of fermentables from sucrose really.

James

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:11 pm

Honey is around 80% sugar ( frutose & glucose) and around 20% water, well better honey has 17-18% water.
So you can do your sums for this data.
To Busy To Add,

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:Honey is around 80% sugar ( frutose & glucose) and around 20% water, well better honey has 17-18% water.
So you can do your sums for this data.
Thanks
man_beach wrote:I haven't seen the recipe but surely the reason for honey in a recipe is to impart a honey flavour and aroma. If you don't like honey, why pick a recipe that includes it? Whatever substitutes you make, it won't be what was intended by Greg.
As head brewer, it's my prerogative to manipulate, adjust and generally jiggle with recipes to suit my needs (plus the fact that I've got all the other ingredients currently in stock for this recipe) :wink: