Red Dawn Amber Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Red Dawn Amber Ale

Post by HisDudeness » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Been fiddling with this recipe for a while now and might give it a go today if time permits, its a bit of a nod towards 5am Saint by Brewdog but without the mega sized dry hop and a bit of influence from one of clibits recipes for an India Red Ale hence the slightly higher IBUs. Any thoughts?

Drinking------ AG American IRA, John Bull IPA Partial Mash, AG Dr Smurtos Rye APA, Elderflower Champagne, Another Rye IPA AG, AG 1845/Broadside Winter Ale, Admirals Gold Bitter AG, Pond Monster APA, London Rye Porter, Pale Ale Water Chem Experiment, Gos Otok Slovenian IPA, Summer Lightningish Aurora & Bobek, Cardinal Wolfsey Pale Ale, Wakatu Pale Ale, Boltmaker Bitter, 3 Ghosts Pale Ale
Conditioning------- Red Dawn Amber Ale, 2 Hearted IPA
Brewing------- Turtle Rye PA, Trip Hop Brit Hop

:beer: \:D/ :beer: :P

Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Red Dawn Amber Ale

Post by Clibit » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Wot no rye?! Looks really nice! Maybe some oats, creamy head.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:23 pm

This is a happy coincidence for me, I was going to sit down later today and find an American Amber Ale recipe, but I want to hop it like an APA. This is a good starting point for me, cheers... and apologies in advance for any plagiarism :lol:

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Haha, funny you should mention the rye was thinking of maybe swapping out the dark crystal but also tempted to try some cara bohemian instead which has been lying around doing nothing for a while hmmm....
Drinking------ AG American IRA, John Bull IPA Partial Mash, AG Dr Smurtos Rye APA, Elderflower Champagne, Another Rye IPA AG, AG 1845/Broadside Winter Ale, Admirals Gold Bitter AG, Pond Monster APA, London Rye Porter, Pale Ale Water Chem Experiment, Gos Otok Slovenian IPA, Summer Lightningish Aurora & Bobek, Cardinal Wolfsey Pale Ale, Wakatu Pale Ale, Boltmaker Bitter, 3 Ghosts Pale Ale

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:30 pm

HisDudeness wrote:Haha, funny you should mention the rye was thinking of maybe swapping out the dark crystal but also tempted to try some cara bohemian instead which has been lying around doing nothing for a while hmmm....
Whatever you do will be good. I've never used cara bohemian. I've used amber in these beers to good effect.

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:31 pm

Notlaw wrote:This is a happy coincidence for me, I was going to sit down later today and find an American Amber Ale recipe, but I want to hop it like an APA. This is a good starting point for me, cheers... and apologies in advance for any plagiarism :lol:
Go for it. Should tick the boxes on the hopping front! Simcoe is great in darker/amber ales so keep that one in if you can :mrgreen:

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:58 pm

HisDudeness wrote:
Notlaw wrote:This is a happy coincidence for me, I was going to sit down later today and find an American Amber Ale recipe, but I want to hop it like an APA. This is a good starting point for me, cheers... and apologies in advance for any plagiarism :lol:
Go for it. Should tick the boxes on the hopping front! Simcoe is great in darker/amber ales so keep that one in if you can :mrgreen:
Hmm, I've been staying away from Simcoe, as I had a single hop pale with a LOT of it in and I wasn't too fussed on it. It was a very light and very dry beer, so perhaps with some body and sweetness to balance... Damn, I've just ordered more hops this morning too.! I'll call in to Leyland on my way home from work one day next week and pick some up.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 pm

I love Simcoe, but i wouldn't panic. You could also use Columbus, or more Nugget/Centennial maybe.

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Clibit wrote:I love Simcoe, but i wouldn't panic. You could also use Columbus, or more Nugget/Centennial maybe.
I agree, its a very distinctive flavour from Simcoe so if its not your thing then use something else. That being said I tend to reserve judgement on hops until I have brewed with them myself as I have had quite a few commercial beers recently where a promising hop combo/exciting new hop does not translate into a decent flavour in the finished product. 1 in particular that springs to mind had a great sounding mix of Aussie hops that should have been amazing but basically tasted like grass clippings :-&

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Was planning on using Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade. This will be the first time I've made a hoppy American style beer.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Notlaw wrote:Was planning on using Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade. This will be the first time I've made a hoppy American style beer.
Centennial and Amarillo is a great combo. Very juicy.

HisDudeness
Steady Drinker

Post by HisDudeness » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Got it mashing now, went with carabohemian in the end and had to sub the nugget for some topaz as I forgot I had binned the nugget a while back as it was getting on a bit. Doing a 10L version for the first run:

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Notlaw wrote:This is a happy coincidence for me, I was going to sit down later today and find an American Amber Ale recipe:
I'll be brewing this later in the month.
Three S amber: O G mid 1.050s, IBUs upper 30s
5 1/2 pounds pale ale malt
10 ounces Vienna malt
8 ounces carawheat
8 ounces crystal 80 malt
mash at 154f for 45 minutes
3/4 ounce saphir @ 3.8% to first wort hop
1/8 ounce summit @ 14.2% plus
1/8 ounce simcoe @ 12.2% plus
3/4 ounce saphir @ 3.8% for 48 minutes
pinch of irish moss plus
1/8 teaspoon nutrient for 15 minutes
1/8 ounce summit @ 14.2% plus
3/4 ounce saphir @ 2.5% for 10 minutes
1/8 ounce summit plus
3/4 ounce saphir to steep
1 pack S-05

The last time I brewed this I dropped some off at my LHBS and the next time I went there I was informed I had to supply the recipe.
I'm just here for the beer.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:53 am

HisDudeness wrote:Been fiddling with this recipe for a while now and might give it a go today if time permits, its a bit of a nod towards 5am Saint by Brewdog but without the mega sized dry hop and a bit of influence from one of clibits recipes for an India Red Ale hence the slightly higher IBUs. Any thoughts?

I haven't got any Munich or roasted barley, but I have got CaraMunich and Chocolate... could they be used instead? I know it wouldn't be exactly the same, but they still be suitable in this sort of recipe?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:05 pm

I would say choc for RB is fine but Munich and Caramunich are very different animals. Caramunich is a crystal malt, so you'd be increasing the crystal %. Maybe just replace with pale malt, or Vienna if you have it. The paler amber malt may be an option.