Green hop quantities

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Hudders

Green hop quantities

Post by Hudders » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:55 am

Hello,

I've been watching a wild/feral hop this summer and it's just started to change colour from green to brown with big pungent cones. I've decided to brew a single hop bitter with it at 4.4% and a colour of 13SRM. I will add hops at 60mins, 20mins, flame out and dry hop but the question is how much! I don't know the AA strength and I haven't dried them. I need to aim somewhere in the middle so that it's not too mild and not too hoppy. I'm assuming an AA of 6% and if dry I would use 30g at each addition for a 20l batch. This gives an IBU in the mid 30s but still in the 20s or 40s if the AA is 4% or 8% respectively, which feels sensible for an English hop. The second question is how much to factor for fresh hop weight. I might increase my weight by 1.5 to account for the water content, so 45g at each addition.

Do people agree with this logic? Ideally I would like an IBU of 44 but if I've underestimated the AA or overestimated the moisture content I would end up with a moderate gravity hop bomb, which I don't want. Traditional best bitter is the goal here.

Also what yeast do people prefer?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: Green hop quantities

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:10 am

Personally I'd use a known hop for bittering and use the wild hops at 10 mins, flameout and dry hopping.

You want to increase your wet hop vs dry hop rates by 4 or 5 times, 1.5 is nowhere near enough.

Hudders

Post by Hudders » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:16 am

Wow, OK. So 120-150g rather than 30g? I definitely don't want to bitter with those hops if there's that much uncertainty. Shame not to use them solely though. Thanks

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:03 am

You will need around 700g to 1kg from what I've heard. Have a search of threads for those who've done green hop bitters before, e.g. this

Louis Macneice

Post by Louis Macneice » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:38 am

I've just done (30/09/16) a green hop pale ale to the following BIAB recipe:

1.5kg Golden Promise
3kg Pale Belgian
200g Light Crystal
200g Torrified Wheat

Mashed for 90mins @ 65 in 25l of water.
Sparged with 5l of water @75
Boiled 60 mins

10g Magnum FWH (i.e as the wort come up to the boil)
400g mixed unidentified/fuggles/prima donna (the vast majority were the unidentified....which smelt very 'cascadey'...if that is a word) @10 mins
Protofloc tablet @10 mins

Wort left form 10 mins steeping after boiler switched off.

23l to fermenter (including 2l of boiled water....the green hops soak up a fair amount of liquid)

Gervin yeast pitched next day; fermentation @ 19-20.

OG. 1049 - by 4/10/16 this had dropped to 1010 and the sample tasted rather good...hoppy but not overly so, with a nice bittering and a sweet underpinning.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:42 am

Generally another hop for bittering, then add the green late, some say 6 or 7x the amount of dried, I would suggest as much as possible 10x +
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Hudders

Post by Hudders » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:29 am

This has been an education, thank you

millmaster

Post by millmaster » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:53 pm

It might be a worthwhile precaution making a hop tea with it, just in case there are some issues with the taste, before you commit to using it in a full batch of beer.
Put some of the hops in a cafetiere type coffee maker and smell/taste the resulting "brew", cautiously. Then if its to your taste, go with it

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:23 am

Don't f*ck about with it. Hop teas are pussy stuff. Use all within the last 5-10mins, you'll get enough bittering from the green hops whatever they are. Using a known hop for bittering is not in the spirit of Green hop beers. Most of our beers are 1kg/BBL or more with dried. Green Hop is 10kg/BBL.

For a 20l batch use at least 500g if you have that much.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:51 pm

There's some good advice above.
I would like to add.
As it’s a wild unknown hop. I wouldn’t dry hop with it, you risk infection.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)