Citra or Northern Brewer for bittering?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Biomedbrewer

Re: Citra or Northern Brewer for bittering?

Post by Biomedbrewer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Made my Citra Blonde with Northern Brewer for bittering, 20g Citra at 10mins & 20g at end. Upped the grain to 5Kg, seemed a shame to not use the leftovers. Fermented for 12 days as temp was a bit low (18degC). OG 1.048, bottled at 1.010, ABV of about 5%. Secondary in bottle for 5 days. Conditioning in cellar. Tried a bottle last night, after 1 week in the cellar, tasted terrible, very sweet, Citra tasted very "catty". Hopefully it will settle down, I'll leave it for a couple of weeks and try again. Worried that I've got an infection as my last brew, based on Graham Wheeler's ESB recipe tasted a bit off. I cleaned everything with Bleach, rinsed and soaked in VWP for a couple of days.
One thought was that I used hop pellets which blocked my kettle filter and took about an hour to drain into the FV, wonder if this could have allowed something to get into the wort?

Biomedbrewer

Re: Citra or Northern Brewer for bittering?

Post by Biomedbrewer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:39 am

Tried my Citra Blonde last night, the wait was worth it. My fears about infection were unfounded, too impatient. Turned into a nice very drinkable brew, could have done with a bit more bittering, the Citra flavour is just about right for my taste.