Help please incomplete recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Help please incomplete recipe

Post by aamcle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:40 pm

I have a "Creamy White Stout Kit" for Christmas, I checked it and found no hops were in it so I went back and checked the recipe on the website and there were non listed nor were the mash conditions. I should have checked before my son ordered it but I didn't so it is my fault!!! no blame to Rob it came from the user uploaded section - the Wild West.

I need a bit of help with sorting out what hops I need and in fact if the recipe is any good.

Munich 1............2000g
Melanoidin..........500g
Maris Otter..........3500g
Flaked Barley.......1000g
Biscuit...............500g

I think I should do a 65°C 90 min mash no conditions were listed in the recipe. My first though is to bitter to about 50 IBU with a small 15 min addition for flavour.

First question, is this going to produce a good brew?
Second question, what hop additions to I need to make?
Third question, do I need a beta glucan rest and rice hulls for drainage?

Thanks Gents. aamcle

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Help please incomplete recipe

Post by john luc » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Why the melanoidin for a stout. Mash should fine for drainage, just don't crush it too fine.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:24 am

Maybe email rob directly you have to register to use malt miller so rob would be able to view his contact details and he may be willing to contact um for you ?

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:07 am

I'm going to contact Rob anyway, I've already checked the user name against most/all of the UK forums.

Aamcle

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:51 pm

1. No idea whether it'll make a good beer.
2. I'm not sure what gravity this is expected to start at, but your bitter to 50IBU, and then a late flavour addition sounds fine to me. What hops you use is up to you, I tend to use Magnum for all my bittering, and use everything else for flavour/aroma. Go with something you like the sound of.
3. I wouldn't bother with either a beta-glucan rest or rice hulls, nothing in that grainbill warrants it IMO.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:46 pm

That malt bill is not going to make a stout, likely something like a slightly weird Marzen beer. I would expect the beer to end up copper colored and malty as hell (not a bad thing by the way). Also, it should be rather creamy given the flaked barley in the grist but you are right to use something to make the sparge easier as that can produce a stuck mash. You need to figure out what the end volume will be and how many IBU's you want. Once that is decided then you can use a bitterness calculator to figure out how to achieve your end goal. In my system, if I were to make a 5 gallon batch (assuming I did the math correctly) I would end up with about a 1.042 O.G. beer. Off the top of my head, if that were a dry stout recipe I would want to bitter to about 40 IBU; hopefully that will be somewhat helpful to you. Have fun and good luck. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:17 am

Reading some of the replies to this, it's looking like people are missing the point that the recipe originator is calling this a white stout, ie contains no roasted malts. This leads me to wonder if the recipe is missing further information than the hop schedule. I wonder if there should be some post fermentation ingredients such as cocoa nibs and coffee beans to add the missing roasted notes one would get from Roasted Barley.

Also the melanoidin malt is probably added for body and mouthfeel, hence the name Creamy White Stout.

Could be a work of genius, but most likely a disaster.

Probably inspired by something like Alphabet - Flat White, which is actually rather good and well made, although as a none coffee drinker is a not really my bag.

https://untappd.com/b/alphabet-brewing- ... ite/968753

Or

http://blog.kegoutlet.com/brewing-a-whi ... he-recipe/

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks all.

Alan