Ron Pattinson 1933 Kidd AK

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Piscator

Ron Pattinson 1933 Kidd AK

Post by Piscator » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:51 pm

I will be brewing Ron's 1933 Kidd AK recipe next weekend http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... dd-ak.html

So far I have enjoyed all the AK recipes I have tried - Greene King was the last one I did, which went down very nicely.

This will be my first time with BX hops and I am aware they are a marmite sort of hop - you either tend to like 'em or don't. This recipe has relatively modest hopping so I would expect the charateristics to be fairly restrained but a good way to see if I like them or not as it's a single hop recipe.

Have any of you that have brewed this recipe got any pearls of wisdom to offer?

Cheers
Steve

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Re: Ron Pattinson 1933 Kidd AK

Post by Good Ed » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Piscator wrote:I will be brewing Ron's 1933 Kidd AK recipe next weekend http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... dd-ak.html

So far I have enjoyed all the AK recipes I have tried - Greene King was the last one I did, which went down very nicely.

This will be my first time with BX hops and I am aware they are a marmite sort of hop - you either tend to like 'em or don't. This recipe has relatively modest hopping so I would expect the charateristics to be fairly restrained but a good way to see if I like them or not as it's a single hop recipe.

Have any of you that have brewed this recipe got any pearls of wisdom to offer?

Cheers
Steve
Only that it makes a very nice beer, what are you using for invert?

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:36 am

I'm using some home made invert which has made some pretty decent PA's and AK's so far - high hopes then for this one.
How would you say the BX come over in this recipe?

Cheers
Steve

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:36 pm

I am interested to know if you have access to the 6-Row malt or will you be trying a substitute?

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:16 am

6470zzy wrote:I am interested to know if you have access to the 6-Row malt or will you be trying a substitute?

Cheers
I suspect 6-Row malted barley was used because it would be cheap due to prohibition eliminating all legal domestic demand in the US. The proportion would be controlled to avoid excess protein and nitrogen it might cause and the subsequent problems to beers that normally didn't need filtering.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:08 am

Piscator wrote:I'm using some home made invert which has made some pretty decent PA's and AK's so far - high hopes then for this one.
How would you say the BX come over in this recipe?

Cheers
Steve
I think the BX go lovely in a light beer like this. BX had only just come into production in 1934, and presumably Kidd, being local in Kent, were trying it out as it features in the other RP recipes from Kidd (the XXX and the PA)
6470zzy wrote:I am interested to know if you have access to the 6-Row malt or will you be trying a substitute?

Cheers
6 row was widely used along with 2 row in different proportions, and it maybe as Eric has stated, but it also supposedly contributed a "graininess" to the beer, something you can get with using flaked barley as a substitute, if so inclined.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:23 am

Cheers
6 row was widely used along with 2 row in different proportions, and it maybe as Eric has stated, but it also supposedly contributed a "graininess" to the beer, something you can get with using flaked barley as a substitute, if so inclined.[/quote]

Indeed it does add the "graininess" quality that you speak of, I use it on occasion, I am simply curious as to the access to the grain itself.
Cheers :beer:
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:51 am

Castle Maltings are the only place I know of, they sell a 6 row Pilsner malt. I've not tried it though.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:09 pm

6470zzy wrote:
Good Ed wrote:

Cheers
6 row was widely used along with 2 row in different proportions, and it maybe as Eric has stated, but it also supposedly contributed a "graininess" to the beer, something you can get with using flaked barley as a substitute, if so inclined.
Indeed it does add the "graininess" quality that you speak of, I use it on occasion, I am simply curious as to the access to the grain itself.
Cheers :beer:
I get barley sold for bird feed to the local pigeon fanciers, less than £5 for 20kg last time. The corns are small and wonder if they might be six row grown locally or just those rejected for size. Whatever, torrified they add a bit of a grainy flavour, but not like that from flaked barley.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.