flaked rye or rye't old mess

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

flaked rye or rye't old mess

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Hiya,

so my last attempt at getting a couple of kilos of rye malt failed, a mate who called into a LHBS on his travels found none. I don't want to order any as i refuse to pay 6 quid delivery on a kilo. So I'm going to use flaked rye for my red rye ale. I have MO, carared and crystal rye already. How much flaked will i have to use to get a good rye taste? Im doing BIAB so will i need rude hulls too? Also, should i squeeze the bag like i usually do or will this cause problems?

ta P

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Re: flaked rye or rye't old mess

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 pm

anybody out there?

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:00 am

Peatbogbrewer wrote:anybody out there?
I`m here! #-o

WA

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:21 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Peatbogbrewer wrote:anybody out there?
I`m here! #-o

WA
Awwww cheers Wales, was getting lonely, know owt about rye?

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:04 pm

The only thing I know about rye (flaked from the supermarket) is it gave me a very slow run off from the mash, I thought my tun had developed a prostate problem :shock: it was just dribbling,
So I don't know if you can step mash ? what ever the temp sophould be ?, and I've only ever use 100-150g in 50lt. It gave a spicy peppery flavour but it could have been the hops adding

Cheers
WD
To Busy To Add,

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:The only thing I know about rye (flaked from the supermarket) is it gave me a very slow run off from the mash, I thought my tun had developed a prostate problem :shock: it was just dribbling,
So I don't know if you can step mash ? what ever the temp sophould be ?, and I've only ever use 100-150g in 50lt. It gave a spicy peppery flavour but it could have been the hops adding

Cheers
WD
Cheers, I've found some rye malt on eBay thats relatively cheap. I reckon because i do BIAB whether flaked or malted, i should be ok. [-o<

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:23 am

I've used flaked rye with crystal rye a lot and loved it. I used 20% and, as I also brew BIAB, just pulled the thing out of the boiler when my mash got gloopy. It was tricky but it has a great flavour.
I'm wondering, though, whether it's worth making a porridge first as my efficiency with it is always rubbish. I might boil it up for five minutes then dough in went it cools down a bit. Do you think that would work better?

David
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Beta glucan rest is what's needed,

When I've used it, what I've done is add it with my porage oats in a sausepan and plenty of water and put it on the lowest setting, to warn up and I give it a stir here and there. Till it gets to what ever temp I thing it needs to "rest temp of what ever is in the sausepan"

Hopfully it's geting its rest, by heating slowly but must remember to stir more times than less times !!
To Busy To Add,