8-wired Nelson Sauvin Saison

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Hudders

8-wired Nelson Sauvin Saison

Post by Hudders » Fri May 12, 2017 8:09 am

Hello,

There's a recipe in the book "Craft Brew" by Euan Ferguson for 8-wired Nelson Sauvin Saison. I want to brew it but I'm alarmed by the level of attenuation it expects and the quantity of hops called for. The recipe is given below. I've put it into the brewing calculator I use and this recipe requires an attenuation of 97% and the IBU will be 58. Do people thing this level of attenuation is achievable and that that level of bitterness will be appropriate for the style? The quantity of whirlpool hops seems a lot also.

Many thanks.

20l batch ABV 7% OG 1.055 FG 1.002

2.71kg Pilsner Malt
1.06kg Pale Ale Malt
0.37kg Wheat Malt
0.18kg Caramalt
0.18kg Flaked Wheat
0.09kg Acid Malt

Mash at 64deg C or lower for 60mins
60 min boil
42g Nelson Sauvin - first wort (no %AA or desired IBU stated)
84g Nelson Sauvin - whirlpool
42g Motueka - whirlpool

Wyeast 3711

ferment at 21 raising to 27 over 4-5 days

Assumed brew house efficiency is 78%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: 8-wired Nelson Sauvin Saison

Post by Jocky » Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 am

Being a saison yeast, I think it will attenuate a lot, and yes it might get down to 1.002. I recently did a saison starting at 1.056 and it went to 1.004 - it was a different yeast (WLP565) but the result is in the ball park. I did add 10% sugar to the grist though.

The level of bitterness is going to depend upon your preference. Personally I think saisons should be bitter, but not American IPA bitter. For that beer I'd go for 35-40 IBU, with 75% of the IBU coming from a 60 min addition (or first wort... not tasted any difference myself), and the rest coming from a 5 min addition. It should be plenty bitter enough with such a dry beer.

After a few experiments with hop stands in the place of 'whirlpool' hops I now add my flavour/aroma hops at 5 or even 2 minutes left of the boil because it's simpler and I get as much or more flavour and aroma from that than any hop stand I've done.

Whirlpooling is a commercial practice and doesn't fit well with home brewing IMHO - it can take 1 hour or more to empty a commercial whirlpool, during which the hops continue to sit at near boiling, so it can be more akin to a 15/20 min boil addition in a home brew setting.

Hope that helps a bit more than it confuses.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.