Recipe with just Fuggles & EKG?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Recipe with just Fuggles & EKG?

Post by Fil » Tue May 16, 2017 3:08 pm

mbrew wrote:
Fil wrote:trust me brew up a couple of smash brews with MO and a target gravity circa 1036-1040 with a medium bitterness and as much late hopping as tickles your fancy, the results will be a couple of crisp golden ales that will quench a summer afternoons thirst without banging your head into the lawn too early.
Might give that a go if nothing else comes up, which one would you prefer yourself? What are the differences, I'd have thought Fuggles would be a bit strange on its own being earthy/grassy?

I'm quite new to this hence the recipe request so not up to designing my own, would appreciate some help with hop amounts & timings.
check out some of the many brewing apps or programs, im quite partial to brewmate tho its been through a few changes. beersmith is the comprehensive needs a book to learn properly option and is free on a 14 day trial.

but when it comes to beer and its ingredients there are 3 catagories you can measure
1)alcohol level as indicated by the original gravity and expected final gravity which is dictated by the sugars added either through a mash or additions.
2) colour - the most subjectve and imho least important aspect measured in ebc's to which the grain and adjuncts contribute.
3) bitterness from hops in OBU's derived from the hop utilisation % and the original alpha acid % of the hops used.

afaik there is no metric for the dry hop additions made, historically dry hop additions were modest ;) and added hints of flavour, and not all beers benefit from them. if concerned about grassy notes dont dry hop with fuggles.

sus out the metrics, gravity, IBUs, and EBC's then get a free brewing app and if its not intuitive
how you add ingredients to a recipie, and 'test' them out for expected abv, ibu etc, and add or remove ingredients to tweak, try another,, ;)

Now getting a complex recipe Mix that works can take a while to fine tune, but Smash brews are great for learning about individual hops and their impacts, and having brewed both EKG and Fuggles Smash brews, they both work well, (tho i didnt dry hop either of them..)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

rui
Piss Artist

Post by rui » Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

maris otter, some crystal 60L, torrified wheat, OG 1048, 37 IBUS, English yeast and you have a nice pint using those two hops!! you cant fail!!

cheers
Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#54 CHRISTMAS Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1: BIAB#49 Kölsh
keg2: Robust Porter
Keg3: Saison
Keg4: Best Bitter
bottled and conditioning: Extra-stout, Blonde ale, APA and Smoked Porter

mbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by mbrew » Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 am

rui wrote:maris otter, some crystal 60L, torrified wheat, OG 1048, 37 IBUS, English yeast and you have a nice pint using those two hops!! you cant fail!!

cheers
Thanks, that's the kind of thing I was looking for, probably give this & an EKG smash a go.

Any more details on the recipe, I need known good ones as I don't want to introduce variables caused by my poor design at this early stage in my brewing.

RobP

Post by RobP » Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 pm

A lot of of the traditional British beers you would be able to think of use some combination of those hops.
Try using Fuggles to bitter, Goldings for later additions and perhaps a small dry hop, again with Goldings.
The following isn't a tested recipe but should give a start.

For 22 litres, 70% efficiency, should give you OG around 1.043, which gives a bit of leeway if your efficiency goes a bit higher or lower.

4 Kg Pale Malt. (Maris otter, Flagon, Golden Promise, whatever)
250g (5%) Crystal Malt (any you have - pale, medium, dark)
250g (or a bit more) of wheat - torrified or wheat malt or even flour if you dare, just to help with head retention. Leave it out and replace with Pale Malt or even sugar if you want.
Mash at 68c to leave some dextrins in the beer. Mash at a lower temperature (65?) if you intend to use a low attenuating yeast.

Hops something like
30g Fuggles for 60 mins
30g EKG for 30 mins
20g each, dry hopped

Use an English ale yeast that isn't too neutral tasting.

^ Should work ok.
Last edited by RobP on Tue May 23, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:22 pm

What about Titanic Lifeboat Ale from Graham Wheelers book page 146 of the 1998 edition?

I am brewing that one next.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Tue May 23, 2017 5:00 pm

I brewed this today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 am

Fil wrote: beersmith is the comprehensive needs a book to learn properly option and is free on a 14 day trial.
21 days actually, and you don't need a book, there are a lot of video tutorials and plenty of people who use it that can help. it is head and shoulders above anything else out there but unfortunately it is American and therefore follows their brewing practises a little too closely for British brewers but not so much that it doesn't bring a lot of advantages. It is regularly updated and has a mobile app which is very sophisticated given the platform it operates on, Bungle's post above shows what it looks like. Highly recommended and if you buy during a "sale" it is incredibly cheap.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 am

RobP wrote:A lot of of the traditional British beers you would be able to think of use some combination of those hops.
Try using Fuggles to bitter, Goldings for later additions and perhaps a small dry hop, again with Goldings.

For 22 litres, 70% efficiency, should give you OG around 1.043, which gives a bit of leeway if your efficiency goes a bit higher or lower.

250g (or a bit more) of wheat - torrified or wheat malt or even flour if you dare, just to help with head retention. Leave it out and replace with Pale Malt or even sugar if you want.
Mash at 68c to leave some dextrins in the beer. Mash at a lower temperature (65?) if you intend to use a low attenuating yeast.

Hops something like
30g Fuggles for 60 mins
30g EKG for 30 mins
20g each, dry hopped

^ Should work ok.
Fuggles are a relatively low Alpha hop so I would reserve that for where it will have more effect, late in the boil or as a steep/dry hop. If you have a high alpha hop somewhere use this as the bittering charge, it won't contribute anything at all as far as aroma is concerned so helps to eke out your expensive finishing hops. It also means less matter in the kettle so helps run off.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Wed May 24, 2017 9:35 am

I made a similar brew last time but with challenger at the end. Goldings mid. Just swapped them round this time. I'm useless with computers really but beersmith is so easy to use. Once you've set up dead space for your set up it's simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobP

Post by RobP » Wed May 24, 2017 11:02 am

orlando wrote:
RobP wrote:A lot of of the traditional British beers you would be able to think of use some combination of those hops.

Hops something like
30g Fuggles for 60 mins
30g EKG for 30 mins
20g each, dry hopped

^ Should work ok.
Fuggles are a relatively low Alpha hop so I would reserve that for where it will have more effect, late in the boil or as a steep/dry hop. If you have a high alpha hop somewhere use this as the bittering charge, it won't contribute anything at all as far as aroma is concerned so helps to eke out your expensive finishing hops. It also means less matter in the kettle so helps run off.
I agree with the thrust of that but the OP specified "only EKG & Fuggles". Fuggles are cheap though and I think something interesting happens to beer when you use a large amount of low alpha hops for bittering.

mbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by mbrew » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am

Hops something like
30g Fuggles for 60 mins
30g EKG for 30 mins
20g each, dry hopped

^ Should work ok.
Thanks, just what I'm looking for.

mbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by mbrew » Wed May 24, 2017 11:07 am

Soay4699 wrote:What about Titanic Lifeboat Ale from Graham Wheelers book page 146 of the 1998 edition?

Thanks, any more details on this as I don't have the book?

mbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by mbrew » Wed May 24, 2017 11:11 am

Good suggestions lads, looking to brew after this weekend.

Just to be clear the reason I'm only looking for known good recipes with Fuggles & EKG is I haven't had much luck so far with my all grain brews, starting to loose the will so just want to use up what ingredients I already have before buying anything else, I don't want to make up my own recipe's because that just adds another variable to the mix.

Soay4699
Steady Drinker

Post by Soay4699 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:49 am

mbrew wrote:
Soay4699 wrote:What about Titanic Lifeboat Ale from Graham Wheelers book page 146 of the 1998 edition?

Thanks, any more details on this as I don't have the book?
I would if someone can tell me how to simply export the details from Beersmith in a form that can be shown on this forum. There must be a way but I can't find it. I do not have the phone app only the PC version.

Rob.

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Soay4699 wrote:
I would if someone can tell me how to simply export the details from Beersmith in a form that can be shown on this forum. There must be a way but I can't find it. I do not have the phone app only the PC version.
One way, admittedly a little laborious is to go to the brew page you want click on brew steps and copy and paste the result, then edit in here. You will still have to type in the other details such as mash temp etc but at least the recipe can be put in.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: