Wyeast/White Labs for Harvey's Bitter

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
PittsburghBrewer

Wyeast/White Labs for Harvey's Bitter

Post by PittsburghBrewer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Hello all,

I have read that Brewlabs Sussex 1 yeast is believed to be Harvey's yeast. However, if you had to use a Wyeast or White Labs yeast to make a Harvey's Best Bitter clone, which would you use?

I plan to try the Brewlabs yeast in the future, but I would like to use White Labs or Wyeast for now for two reasons. First, I'm in the U.S., and I don't know how well the Brewlabs yeast will travel (especially in the summer). Second, I've just switched to all grain brewing, and I would like to improve my brewing procedures before I start working with yeast slopes.

This forum has been a great aid to me in learning about brewing English ales. Thanks to all!

Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Wyeast/White Labs for Harvey's Bitter

Post by Clibit » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm not sure if Brewlabs Sussex 1 is Harvey's yeast. Maybe it's a single strain that's taken from their multi strain culture. I'm not sure. But using Brewlabs slopes is incredibly easy, and they are extremely healthy, and should travel better than liquid yeast, I think.

Can't really help with the best wyeast or whitelabs yeast strain either. I think, though, that using the actual Harvey's yeast is critical. It will be the one ingredient that makes Harvey's unique, without it you aren't making a clone. Your beer will be as close to many other English beers as it is to Harvey's.

Which doesn't mean it won't be delicious though. You want a yeast with some character. Like the Ringwood strain wlp 005, or Wyeast 1318, or wlp 006, which I like a lot. Any of these would give you a great result that won't be a million miles away I think.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not an expert, just a keen home brewer.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:15 am

I am just about to brew a Sussex Bitter with the yeast that I recovered from a bottle of Harveys Stout.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:32 am

what clibit said.. if you want to make harvey's best, then you need to use harvey's yeast. not sure how easy that would be for you to get over there, but like ipa says people have had success getting it from bottles and kegs. otherwise, to make an english bitter, just pick your favourite whitelabs/wyeast strain and adjust the recipe to suit the yeast.
dazzled, doused in gin..