Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Top Cat
Steady Drinker
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Top Cat » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Going to be my next brew, one question Rob, I normally leave my beer from pitching yeast to racking into cornies two weeks, the final four days reducing the fermentation temperature down to about one degree for clearing.
Adding the hop pellets after four days (just the right time in my opinion) will leave me to chill sooner and rack on day ten for your recommended six days.
Will exceeding the dry hopping time to ten days have much effect, or should I reduce the quantity a little, as the fourteen days in fermentation bin is convenient for me.
Thanks in anticipation.

wezzel01
Piss Artist
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by wezzel01 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 pm

I’m brewing this in the next few days too (as soon as I’ve bottled the ESB on the go now). Incidentally, Brewdog did a series of tests to determine the best temperature for dry hopping and the result was 14 degrees. I now do this with all my beers and it seems to work well.

I still can’t decide whether to blitz dry hops first in a blender (leaf hops) and just throw them the fermenter or place them in a hop bag (my usual method). I read somewhere that blitzing leaf hops causes them to oxidise really quickly.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Top Cat wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 pm
Going to be my next brew, one question Rob, I normally leave my beer from pitching yeast to racking into cornies two weeks, the final four days reducing the fermentation temperature down to about one degree for clearing.
Adding the hop pellets after four days (just the right time in my opinion) will leave me to chill sooner and rack on day ten for your recommended six days.
Will exceeding the dry hopping time to ten days have much effect, or should I reduce the quantity a little, as the fourteen days in fermentation bin is convenient for me.
Thanks in anticipation.
There’s a thousand schools of thought on it to be honest. My best results come from around 3 days warm then 3 days cool, and i find it’s important to sample regularly and package when the aroma is to your liking - leave it longer and it can start to dissipate. So for you i would dry hop on day 8, 3 warm, 3 cold.

Oxidizing question I can’t answer, but I can’t see an issue if you blend them immediately prior to adding to the beer.

wezzel01
Piss Artist
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by wezzel01 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks Rob


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Cat
Steady Drinker
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Top Cat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:19 pm
Top Cat wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 pm
Going to be my next brew, one question Rob, I normally leave my beer from pitching yeast to racking into cornies two weeks, the final four days reducing the fermentation temperature down to about one degree for clearing.
Adding the hop pellets after four days (just the right time in my opinion) will leave me to chill sooner and rack on day ten for your recommended six days.
Will exceeding the dry hopping time to ten days have much effect, or should I reduce the quantity a little, as the fourteen days in fermentation bin is convenient for me.
Thanks in anticipation.
There’s a thousand schools of thought on it to be honest. My best results come from around 3 days warm then 3 days cool, and i find it’s important to sample regularly and package when the aroma is to your liking - leave it longer and it can start to dissipate. So for you i would dry hop on day 8, 3 warm, 3 cold.

Oxidizing question I can’t answer, but I can’t see an issue if you blend them immediately prior to adding to the beer.
Thanks Rob, I’ll stick with your advice and dry hop later.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:30 pm

Top Cat wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:19 pm
Top Cat wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 pm
Going to be my next brew, one question Rob, I normally leave my beer from pitching yeast to racking into cornies two weeks, the final four days reducing the fermentation temperature down to about one degree for clearing.
Adding the hop pellets after four days (just the right time in my opinion) will leave me to chill sooner and rack on day ten for your recommended six days.
Will exceeding the dry hopping time to ten days have much effect, or should I reduce the quantity a little, as the fourteen days in fermentation bin is convenient for me.
Thanks in anticipation.
There’s a thousand schools of thought on it to be honest. My best results come from around 3 days warm then 3 days cool, and i find it’s important to sample regularly and package when the aroma is to your liking - leave it longer and it can start to dissipate. So for you i would dry hop on day 8, 3 warm, 3 cold.

Oxidizing question I can’t answer, but I can’t see an issue if you blend them immediately prior to adding to the beer.
Thanks Rob, I’ll stick with your advice and dry hop later.
Wait, ignore that. Dry hop around 1.010 just before the krauzen dies - 3 warm, 3 cool. No idea why i posted 8 days! Lol

Greg
Tippler
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Greg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:50 pm

[quote=Robwalkeragain post_id=843207 time=1556658731 user_id=18529]
[quote=f00b4r post_id=843204 time=1556639858 user_id=14394]
Rob , are you letting that orange peel steep before starting chilling?
[/quote]

Yeah dude give it 20-30 mins.

Greg: always welcome!
[/quote]


Just seen this, better late than never eh? Scary thing is I could bore you to death with my questions! 😂

I am too new to PM you on here, what time do you start in the morning...next week?

User avatar
alexlark
Under the Table
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Rhondda, South Wales

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by alexlark » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am

Anyone know if this is the same orange peel?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3834907119

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm

alexlark wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am
Anyone know if this is the same orange peel?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3834907119
Yes, i believe so.

We’re selling this batch now and it’s great! The nielsen massey extract tastes great dosed at 0.4ml per litre. It cuts through enough but it’s subtle, so double or triple up if you want a slap in the face with an orange on every sip.

guypettigrew
Under the Table
Posts: 1687
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: Christchurch, Dorset

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm
alexlark wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am
Anyone know if this is the same orange peel?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3834907119
Yes, i believe so.

We’re selling this batch now and it’s great! The nielsen massey extract tastes great dosed at 0.4ml per litre. It cuts through enough but it’s subtle, so double or triple up if you want a slap in the face with an orange on every sip.
Hi RWA

Is the extract as well as, or instead of, the bitter orange peel?

Guy

User avatar
alexlark
Under the Table
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Rhondda, South Wales

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by alexlark » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Cheers Rob

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:28 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm
alexlark wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am
Anyone know if this is the same orange peel?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3834907119
Yes, i believe so.

We’re selling this batch now and it’s great! The nielsen massey extract tastes great dosed at 0.4ml per litre. It cuts through enough but it’s subtle, so double or triple up if you want a slap in the face with an orange on every sip.
Hi RWA

Is the extract as well as, or instead of, the bitter orange peel?

Guy
Instead of - no peel this time

Greg
Tippler
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Greg » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:34 pm

Popped into the Inn yesterday to try a pint of this, well worth trying. One I really wish I’d brewed this summer! Lovely orange note to the aftertaste, highly drinkable. One for me to try brewing soon I think.

User avatar
alexlark
Under the Table
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Rhondda, South Wales

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by alexlark » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:00 am

Not too late Greg, get a batch on!

Top Cat
Steady Drinker
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by Top Cat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:51 am
Hi all, just thought I'd share this one as it's a one off brew. It'll be round Birmingham, Worcester and surrounding festivals this summer, I don't mind giving the recipe away. Into cask yesterday and it tastes awesome.

It's a golden hoppy beer with a full body, and a sort of light vinous orangey finish. It's not full on orange, but very fruity.

Mash @ 68
23L batch
1.048 - 1.012
33 IBU
60 minute boil
mash @ 68c

4.65kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Caramalt
23g Admiral @ 60 (33 IBU)
55g bitter orange peel @ flame out
140g Mandarina Bavaria pellets @ day 4 dry hop, 6 days
Us-05 yeast
It’s a belter, no wonder you ran out so soon!
Said I would brew this recipe some time ago and finally after two weeks in the cornie sampled it.

Beautiful hoppy aroma and taste,with citrus notes, extremely well balanced beer.
I modified the recipe slightly to take into account the high dry hopping sludge that I was expecting to get when transferring to keg.
I added more water only to give me 25 ltrs to ferment, the OG was 1045, just right for my taste. I managed to get 22.5 ltrs of beer out of my fermentation vessel.

One question I have that you guys and especially Rob may answer is the following.

I ferment in a bin with a hose lock tap near the bottom. To transfer to kegs or bottles I use a hose lock quick change coupling with 1/2 ins bore pipe then for bottles a bottling tube adapted with another quick change coupling for ease and speed of transferring.
On this occasion due to the high rate of sludge, up to the tap outlet, I had to use a syphon and small filter bag on the end.
Is it practical to use a hop filter flask that I have with 30 micron gauze, put the pellets in that and drop it the bin after about 3/4 days of fermentation, as it’s a brew I will be doing many more times in the future.

Post Reply