Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Weatheroak Hill Brewery / Sunshine Marmalade 4.7%

Post by alexlark » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:08 am

It is possible to use something like that. All depends on the size of the container and the amount of hops used. Obviously you will get better extraction by dry hopping loose. As I ferment in a fridge I drop the temp to 0c at the end of fermentation, this compacts the yeast and hop pellets quite nicely.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Top Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:25 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:51 am
Hi all, just thought I'd share this one as it's a one off brew. It'll be round Birmingham, Worcester and surrounding festivals this summer, I don't mind giving the recipe away. Into cask yesterday and it tastes awesome.

It's a golden hoppy beer with a full body, and a sort of light vinous orangey finish. It's not full on orange, but very fruity.

Mash @ 68
23L batch
1.048 - 1.012
33 IBU
60 minute boil
mash @ 68c

4.65kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Caramalt
23g Admiral @ 60 (33 IBU)
55g bitter orange peel @ flame out
140g Mandarina Bavaria pellets @ day 4 dry hop, 6 days
Us-05 yeast
It’s a belter, no wonder you ran out so soon!
Said I would brew this recipe some time ago and finally after two weeks in the cornie sampled it.

Beautiful hoppy aroma and taste,with citrus notes, extremely well balanced beer.
I modified the recipe slightly to take into account the high dry hopping sludge that I was expecting to get when transferring to keg.
I added more water only to give me 25 ltrs to ferment, the OG was 1045, just right for my taste. I managed to get 22.5 ltrs of beer out of my fermentation vessel.

One question I have that you guys and especially Rob may answer is the following.

I ferment in a bin with a hose lock tap near the bottom. To transfer to kegs or bottles I use a hose lock quick change coupling with 1/2 ins bore pipe then for bottles a bottling tube adapted with another quick change coupling for ease and speed of transferring.
On this occasion due to the high rate of sludge, up to the tap outlet, I had to use a syphon and small filter bag on the end.
Is it practical to use a hop filter flask that I have with 30 micron gauze, put the pellets in that and drop it the bin after about 3/4 days of fermentation, as it’s a brew I will be doing many more times in the future.
Yes and no really, the bag will contain the hops fine but surface area of hops will be reduced so less utilization. I’m not a fan of anything that restricts contact...

My personal solution would be to rack from the bottom using an upstand to reliably leave sludge behind, or rack into a bottling bucket via a simple syphon filter.

Glad you like the beer!

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:54 pm

A nice pic courtesy of greg. I assume he was sideways when he took it
Attachments
D211D847-C29A-4589-B586-199C0244A514.jpeg

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Mmm... looks delicious.

Greg
Tippler

Post by Greg » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:54 pm

It wasn’t me that was sideways, it was the rest of the world.

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm
Top Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:25 pm
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:51 am
Hi all, just thought I'd share this one as it's a one off brew. It'll be round Birmingham, Worcester and surrounding festivals this summer, I don't mind giving the recipe away. Into cask yesterday and it tastes awesome.

It's a golden hoppy beer with a full body, and a sort of light vinous orangey finish. It's not full on orange, but very fruity.

Mash @ 68
23L batch
1.048 - 1.012
33 IBU
60 minute boil
mash @ 68c

4.65kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Caramalt
23g Admiral @ 60 (33 IBU)
55g bitter orange peel @ flame out
140g Mandarina Bavaria pellets @ day 4 dry hop, 6 days
Us-05 yeast
It’s a belter, no wonder you ran out so soon!
Said I would brew this recipe some time ago and finally after two weeks in the cornie sampled it.

Beautiful hoppy aroma and taste,with citrus notes, extremely well balanced beer.
I modified the recipe slightly to take into account the high dry hopping sludge that I was expecting to get when transferring to keg.
I added more water only to give me 25 ltrs to ferment, the OG was 1045, just right for my taste. I managed to get 22.5 ltrs of beer out of my fermentation vessel.

One question I have that you guys and especially Rob may answer is the following.

I ferment in a bin with a hose lock tap near the bottom. To transfer to kegs or bottles I use a hose lock quick change coupling with 1/2 ins bore pipe then for bottles a bottling tube adapted with another quick change coupling for ease and speed of transferring.
On this occasion due to the high rate of sludge, up to the tap outlet, I had to use a syphon and small filter bag on the end.
Is it practical to use a hop filter flask that I have with 30 micron gauze, put the pellets in that and drop it the bin after about 3/4 days of fermentation, as it’s a brew I will be doing many more times in the future.
Yes and no really, the bag will contain the hops fine but surface area of hops will be reduced so less utilization. I’m not a fan of anything that restricts contact...

My personal solution would be to rack from the bottom using an upstand to reliably leave sludge behind, or rack into a bottling bucket via a simple syphon filter.

Glad you like the beer!
Yeah, that’s what I thought you would say Rob. Unfortunately I think the dry hopping contributes a lot to the taste. I would have to move the filter about in the bin to disperse the flavour or greatly compensate for the loss.

Think I’ll put up with the sludge and the lost beer, bloody sacrilege!!!

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:58 am

Drinking this now Rob. Many thanks for the recipe. It tastes fantastic. Just a lovely hint of orange without being overpowering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun May 17, 2020 6:01 pm

Brewed this 2 weeks ago, got it in the keg on Friday. Force carbed for 36 hours then dropped to serving pressure. What a lovely pint, as the description says, not full on orange but very fruity and tasty.

Used CML Five yeast and swapped out the Admiral for Chinook. Will definitely brew again. At 4.7% it goes down easy, easily a creeper!!

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 am

Why don't you put the orange juice in the beer at the end of the boil?
Never enough time...

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 am

I couldn't as I bought dried orange peel. I used the peel from some grapefruit in a different brew before but found it a PITA getting the zest off without the pith. Dried is the way to go, although Weatheroak now use orange extract which is readily available in Sainsbury's. The one to use is Nielsen-Massey Pure Orange Extract 60ml as it contains Natural Oil of Orange.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Tue May 19, 2020 6:01 pm

alexlark wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 am
I couldn't as I bought dried orange peel.
I didn't mean you, I just meant in general. No-one seems to have mentioned it in the whole thread despite it being an obvious thing to do in my eyes. I can see that dried and essence would be better options though.

I thought it might introduce haze or something and was hoping to be educated.
Never enough time...

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue May 19, 2020 6:04 pm

I'm not sure to be honest. I suppose the sugar in the orange juice would ferment, not sure what it would do to the flavour really.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 pm

Almost 2 years later, just buying the hops to re-brew this. This is a cracking summer brew, highly recommended!

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:01 am

alexlark wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 pm
Almost 2 years later, just buying the hops to re-brew this. This is a cracking summer brew, highly recommended!
How much of the Nielsen-Massey extract do you add per 23 litre brew?

Cheers Tom

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:13 am

Bad 'Ed wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 am
Why don't you put the orange juice in the beer at the end of the boil?
You might as well put strawberry jam in there. Bitter orange peal is a completely different ingredient.

This is on my list for next week, but this time I might try another hop... Ernest??