Bathams XXX Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
malaroo978
Sober

Bathams XXX Recipe

Post by malaroo978 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:39 am

Hi All,

Long time member but very little posting previously. I'm now getting back into all grain brewing thanks to buying a Klarstein all in one unit. And tonight I'm planning to brew a Bathams Clone recipe (Graham Wheelers recipe).

But it's got me thinking... I'd like to have a go at doing the Bathams XXX in a couple of months (christmas brew) but as I'm a novice with recipes I'm not sure where to go with putting a guess together. Description from the website is:

Bathams XXX
OG 1064 ABV 6.3%

A Christmas ale, mid brown in colour and strong, with a malty, fruity taste.

Hop flavour is present but malt predominates through to the aftertaste. Hold onto your hats, folks!

So they have been kind enough to provide the OG with some tasting notes too. I'd be interested if anyone has ever had a go at this or would have any idea how to get close to it? The colour darkens slightly (but its by no means dark in the glass) and obviously the % increases (I've heard rumours of it being a lot more than the 6.3% on the pull!)

My guess would be adding crystal malt to bring in the darkness and a higher maris otter bill?

Any help/experience appreciated!

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Bathams XXX Recipe

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 pm

If it helps, bathams are well known to use inverted sugars quite extensively. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the colour comes from a dark invert