Brown ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Brown ale

Post by Rookie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Who here likes brown ale that's not an old geezer like me? What's your favorite recipe?
I'm just here for the beer.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brown ale

Post by john luc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Sierra Nevada tumbler
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Not a recipe, but Sam Smith’s Nut Brown. Simple grain bill I’m sure, but it’s all about the yeast.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Brown Ale seems a bit of a catch-all category these days, some are somewhat darker and less bitter than typical bitters, right across to others which are just a bit less dark and roasty than porters. Those extremes are very different but yes I like both.... and now you mention it I can't recall brewing any for years, so must correct that!

I was in the North of England a few months back and at least the sweeter/maltier kind are still quite popular there. I even got to try Double Maxim on draft which was noticeably better than it is bottled.
Kev

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Can you clarify "brown ale" and "old geezer"?
I am partial to many brown coloured ales such as TTL, London Pride, Black Sheep Bitter, but not overly familiar with many Broon Ales other than Newcastle Brown.
Does 54 count as an "old geezer"?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Last edited by charliemartin on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altonrea Homebrew

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm a middle aged geezer, and drank a lot of brown ale in the late 80's. I've tried a few commercial ones recently; Newkie Brown has been ruined by Heineken and is pants, but Sam Smith's Nut Brown is really good. The reincarnation of Double Maxim is ok.

I've tried to brew it once since I went all grain, a historic Whitbread Double Brown, and it wasn't a success to be honest, but I'm pretty sure that was down to my lack of skill. I will be trying again.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 pm

Tyneside Brown by the Hadrian Border brewery was nice when I tried it.