request for weissbier recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: request for weissbier recipe

Post by Cobnut » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Looks lovely.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MuckyFunster
Steady Drinker

Post by MuckyFunster » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:23 pm

That’s a lovely head my Homebrew never has much by way of a head at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domejunky
Steady Drinker

Post by domejunky » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks to everyone in this thread. Used it as a jumping off point to brew myself a Belgian Wit. One of my favourite styles, but had become my nemesis over the years.

I just bought a bottle of Hoegaarden for comparison - mine has more Belgian notes, touch crisper, more refreshing - Hoegaarden seems soft and sanitised. I'm a big fan of Blanche de Bruxelles and Blanche de Namur, but Hoegaarden was all I could find

Recipe:

2kg Wheat Malt
2kg Extra Pale Maris Otter
250g Porridge oats

10g Vic Secret - 30 minutes into a 60 minute boil

12.5g Coriander seed (gently toasted, then crushed)
25g Candied Italian Orange Peel (from Morrisons)
Both added 10 minutes before end of boil

Fermented with a Brugse Zot culture @25°CImage

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Looks like a lovely drop

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:49 am

Unusual recipe as a wit would traditionally use unmalted wheat, whereas a german wheat would use malted wheat. There’s a significant difference, so i guess you’re somewhere in the middle of both styles. Still, it’s sort of fine as the countries are both next to each other and it’s only the purists that would string you up for it.

domejunky
Steady Drinker

Post by domejunky » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:01 am

Robwalkeragain wrote:Unusual recipe as a wit would traditionally use unmalted wheat, whereas a german wheat would use malted wheat. There’s a significant difference, so i guess you’re somewhere in the middle of both styles. Still, it’s sort of fine as the countries are both next to each other and it’s only the purists that would string you up for it.
I've since compared mine to a bottle of Blanche de Bruxelles - and I think you are right. I'm going to brew another batch with flaked wheat - I was missing that gentle vanilla ice cream flavour

ingo
Steady Drinker

Post by ingo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Wyeasts seasonal WY3822-PC Belgian Dark Ale is a perfect yeast for Wit as it produces more acidity as most yeasts. It is promoted as a yeast for dark ales. It ran under different names, Ingelmunster, Dutch Castle and now Belgian Dark Ale. De Brabandere, brewer of Wittekerke Wit is just 9 km from Ingelmunster and it may well be the source, instead of often cited Van Honsebrouck's very sweet Kasteel bier.