Summer Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
ingo
Steady Drinker

Summer Ale

Post by ingo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 am

Summer Ale

OG 1,040
IBU 30
75 min @ 67°C
94% Pale Malt (Maris Otter (TF))
3% crystal malt (TF)
3% Amber malt (TF)
60 min boil
30 IBU EKG @FWH
2g/l Goldings @whirlpool
2g/l Bramling-X @whirlpool
WLP029 0.5x10^6 cells/ml/°Plato @17°C free rise cap @20°C
@SVG 75% transfer to lager vessel on to
4g/l medium toasted cherry wood chips
fully ferment out FG ~1,004 - 1,001
warm lager 2 weeks
dry hop 24h
2g/l EKG
2g/l Bramling-X
cool (fine) and keg
brewing music: Van Morrison, Summertime in England

The esters of the yeast work very well with the hints of marmalade and black berry of the hops and the wood. I prefer to use lower alpha goldings to get a bit more tannins to get a dryer mouthfeel. The amber malt helps. The yeast makes a bit of glycerol that adds some sweetness to the beer.

The same recipe also works well with a saison yeast. An other variation is to replace the Maris Otter by 50% 'normal' pale malt and 44% dark wheat malt.

Cheers,

Ingo

KevH
Steady Drinker

Re: Summer Ale

Post by KevH » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:47 am

I brewed a summer ale for last summer. It was lovely. Didn't think to play that song when brewing mind; wonder if it would have been even better if I did?! Do you find it imparts any special flavours to the beer?
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

ingo
Steady Drinker

Post by ingo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:51 am

Oh Yes. It gets you in the proper brewing mood. Jaques Brel for Lambic. Zappa for those American beers with too much of the wrong hops. Einstuerzende Neubauten for Berliner Weisse,

Ingo

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 am

I shall have to get the old wireless set up when I brew next time. Looking forward to drinking the results. Cheers Ingo.
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)