Malty beer help

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Brown beer
Tippler

Malty beer help

Post by Brown beer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi all. Been doing biab for about 8 yrs. I remember the first two beers I did were quite malty compared with anything since. I guess my techniques have improved with yeast starters, fermentation temp control etc. How do I get a malty beer again? Aromatic malt? I normally use maris otter as standard. What ibu would a malt beer traditionally have? Thanks all.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Malty beer help

Post by Jocky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:24 am

All Maris Otter should give you a malty beer, but perhaps you need to accentuate it by using some more characterful malt and reducing bitterness.

Here’s my recipe suggestion - it’s sweetish brown ale:

OG 1.065
FG 1.016ish
IBU 25

Thomas Fawcett Mild Ale malt - 66%
Crisp Amber malt - 30%
Crisp Brown malt - 4%

Mash at 69c

Your choice of hops all at 60 minutes to reach 25 ibu. Fuggles would be my choice, but you can use any buttering hop you have on hand.

Yeast is again your choice, but I’d stick with something English-like. S-04, maybe Liberty Bell. Just stay away from anything that finishes really high because this beer will finish fairly sweet on its own.

Finally, I specify specific maltsters because the roastedness of the grains vary from maltster to maltster. Using Thomas Fawcett Amber malt would make this beer taste like coffee as it’s darker than Crisp Amber.

If you can’t get these exact malts then find some with similar EBC colours. e.g. most Vienna malts will sub in for the mild ale malt.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Brown beer
Tippler

Post by Brown beer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:57 am

Many Thanks.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:59 am

Getting your Chloride/Sulphate ratio correct would be a step in the right direction. Have a look at Graham's water calculator on this forum.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:38 pm

I wonder if it is your perception that has changed now that your pallet has more experience?

I know it happens with hops so why not malt. Alternatively your first beers were less hoppy and more malt driven and now your utilisation is better the malt takes more of a back seat?

Maybe...