Milk Stout Recipe Request

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Milk Stout Recipe Request

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:54 pm

I REALLY want to brew a milk stout, but am at a bit of a loss. Can anyone suggest somethig without crystal malt? It turns out I haven't got as much as I thought I had; maybe only 100g, but I don't think any more than 200g. I do have a couple of kilos of brown malt, a kilo of roasted barley, one of lactose, a fair amount of chocolate and black malt and some wheat malt and flaked oats (though not much of each) and Windsor and Nottingham yeasts; saaz pellets, whole leaf fuggle, golding, target and northdown hops. Any help would be gratefully received.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Milk Stout Recipe Request

Post by Cobnut » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Any base malt?

Your recipe needs to be mostly pale malt (pilsner would probably do at a pinch).

As for crystal malt, some milk stouts have NONE.

e.g. Graham Wheelers recipe for 23L batch of Mackeson milk stout is :

2830g pale
470g chocolate
125g black
580 lactose (last 30min of boil)

mash 90min @ 67C
boil 90 min
30g Target start of boil (26 EBU)

OG 1042, FG 1020, ABV 3%

The export version is 4.6% and simply scaled up to OG 1059, FG 1025 - I'm sure you could do the maths on that!

Good luck!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:57 pm

I don't think Mackeson, the original milk stout, has ever had crystal in it. Ron Pattinson has published a number of recipes for it (and a lot of the history which is quite interesting if you're into that sort of thing), I'd start with the 1936 version.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks guys!

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:25 pm

I tried Making the standard Mackeson recipe in Graham Wheeler a couple of years ago and used empire ale yeast, which seems to have similar rates of attenuation to Windsor in my experience (I.e. low!). Ended up with crazy high FG, even allowing for the half kilo of lactose (I think it was 1.030 instead of 1.020). No doubt this is partly down to my imperfections as a brewer, but if I did it again (and I like Mackeson so I might) I would use a more attenuating yeast - I would use Nottingham over Windsor. Others might have other experiences however.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:24 am

The best stouts I've brewed are closely based on old Guinness recipes, around 74% Pale, 16% Flaked Barley, 10% Black Malt, scale that to your desired ABV strength. You could easily turn it into a Milk Stout by adding Lactose, around 4.5% of the overall weight, at the end of the boil.