Sugar

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Fido97
Sober

Sugar

Post by Fido97 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:33 am

Anyone know the equivalent amount of black treacle needed to replicate day 200g white sugar? I'm thinking it's probably more or less the same weight but others may have a more empirically accurate answer/methodology to calculate. Cheers.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Sugar

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:13 am

A check on Graham Wheeler's beer engine, Google and the Northern Brewer refractometer calculator tells me 200g white sugar dissolved in 150ml water will have near enough the same specific gravity (1.500) as molasses (1.462). I think molasses is American for treacle.

Or I could have got this completely wrong!

Does this help?

Guy

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:42 am

On the side of my tin of Lyle's Black Treacle it states that 100g contains 64g of sugars. Whether those sugars are equivalent to white sugar might raise another question, but is maybe good enough for your plans.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 am

Eric wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:42 am
On the side of my tin of Lyle's Black Treacle it states that 100g contains 64g of sugars. Whether those sugars are equivalent to white sugar might raise another question, but is maybe good enough for your plans.
A much more elegant and straightforward way of answering the question! Interestingly, on a jar of golden syrup it says 100g of syrup contains 77.5g of sugar. More than the black treacle, to my surprise.

Guy

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:02 pm

Golden Syrup is more refined ("processed") than treacle, which is more refined than molasses. Molasses was (is?) used as pig food. Despite that I always used molasses for beer because it had a less intense flavour. That was before I figured adding treacle or molasses to beer was a mistake!
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Fido97
Sober

Post by Fido97 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:20 pm

[quote=PeeBee post_id=849167 time=1586091773 user_id=16274]
Golden Syrup is more refined ("processed") than treacle, which is more refined than molasses. Molasses was (is?) used as pig food. Despite that I always used molasses for beer because it had a less intense flavour. That was before I figured adding treacle or molasses to beer was a mistake!
[/quote]

PeeBee I would be interested to know why you say this (a mistake adding treacle to beer). Cheers,

By the way thanks all for your input.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:05 am

Molasses and treacle have a "masking" quality. You don't have to realise it, in fact the "quality" might be seen as desirable - it smooths and rounds a beer. But you do notice it when trying to make subtle changes to other ingredients and find you cannot make "subtle" changes. It's not the flavour doing the masking, it's a "quality", so you don't suspect molasses as the culprit. Liquorice is another "masking" ingredient apparently (I've never used liquorice in beer).

I'm sore about it because I was unaware for decades before I suspected it And I was using less than 1/2 of the 200g mentioned above.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:39 am

Golden Syrup is more refined ("processed") than treacle, which is more refined than molasses.
molasses= treacle=molasses,same as pavement=sidewalk= pavement
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 am

themadhippy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:39 am
Golden Syrup is more refined ("processed") than treacle, which is more refined than molasses.
molasses= treacle=molasses,same as pavement=sidewalk= pavement
Yes. Unfortunately that is the common UK-USA translation which you do see about a lot more. The UK does make a difference between the two. To remove the confusion the alternative term "blackstrap (molasses)" works. Blackstrap tends to have a bitter edge compared to more refined treacle.

There are similar lack of translations elsewhere, like what the bl**** hell is a "sidewalk"? And just don't start on "light treacle" (US for golden syrup apparently?). And definitely stay clear of "fanny".

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:52 am

like what the bl**** hell is a "sidewalk"
Old english for the WALKway beSIDE the muddy cart track,same as trunk for boot,your luggage trunk was often loaded on the rear of the stagecoach,Knock it as much as you like,but a lot of the american language is a remnant of english from the 17th century
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation