Surrey Hills’ Shere Drop

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Surrey Hills’ Shere Drop

Post by CestrIan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:58 pm

Has anybody had a crack at making Surrey Hills’ Shere Drop. It was the Champion Beer of Britain last year and there is suprisingly little about it online, but enough to make a start at a clone recipe. Just wondered if someone else has already had a go.
From CAMRA "Described as pale in colour with a subtle hint of grapefruit and lemon in the aroma, the wonderful hop bitterness is complemented by a balanced malt flavour."
From the Surrey Hills website "Shere Drop – ABV 4.2% The flagship beer is pale in colour with a subtle hint of grapefruit and lemon in the aroma. The wonderful hop bitterness is complemented by a balanced malt flavour. The beer has a long finish, which is moderately dry."
From protzonbeer.co.uk - Hops are Challenger, First Gold, Pioneer and Cascade, malt is Maris Otter, with additions of cara gold and crystal malts
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Surrey Hills’ Shere Drop

Post by seymour » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:15 am

Sounds like a delicious beer, but I haven't personally had the good fortune to try it. Google Images of it are fairly light orange amber, and you didn't describe a ton of malt complexity or residual sweetness, so I wouldn't overdo the specialty malts. I'd begin with a grainbill around: 90% Maris Otter, 5% CaraGold, 5% Crystal (maybe something like Thomas Fawcett Pale Crystal or Bairds CaraStan 30-37).