Lockdown Altbier

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Lockdown Altbier

Post by CestrIan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Managed to get a sack of Warminster floor malted Vienna malt just before the door slammed shut on lockdown, so gonna get an Altbier on this weekend. I've got no pilsner or munich so I'm going 100% Vienna malt, Magnum for clean bittering and Tettnang for the late hop addition.

Lockdown Altbier

25L Brew volume
1050 OG target
35 IBU

5.6Kg Vienna malt
30g Magnum @ 60 min
15g Tettnang @ 15 min

Yeast Safale K97
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Lockdown Altbier

Post by Rookie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:19 am

Not sure this is a traditional alt, but it should be good.
I'm just here for the beer.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 am

Agree with Rookie - this is probably more of a Vienna Lager. Especially if you do a decoction mash.

Sounds like it could be a good beer.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by CestrIan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:01 pm

Yes agree with you both. I’ve been trying to get hold of a sack of pilsner malt but I keep missing the malt millers window. I’ve got some carafa. Could throw 100g in to get the colour up and some crystal. Do love a Vienna lager though.

When I do get my order in at the home brew shop I was going to get some omega kolsch 2 yeast and have a go at making kolsch as well as altbier now the weather is picking up.

What’s your preferred altbier yeast? I’d appreciate any tips. Not made this style before.
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm

CestrIan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:01 pm
Yes agree with you both. I’ve been trying to get hold of a sack of pilsner malt but I keep missing the malt millers window. I’ve got some carafa. Could throw 100g in to get the colour up and some crystal. Do love a Vienna lager though.

When I do get my order in at the home brew shop I was going to get some omega kolsch 2 yeast and have a go at making kolsch as well as altbier now the weather is picking up.

What’s your preferred altbier yeast? I’d appreciate any tips. Not made this style before.
For liquid Wyeast 1007, for dry K-97.
I'm just here for the beer.