DIY dog - recipe errors? Hazy Jane

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
gobuchul
Steady Drinker

DIY dog - recipe errors? Hazy Jane

Post by gobuchul » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:46 am

I picked up a few cans of Brewdog Hazy Jane the other day and really enjoyed them.

Thought I would have a go and making a batch myself but when I looked in DIY Dog, the hop quantities are completely wrong.

The beer has 30 IBU but the only hop addition before flame out is 1g of Chinook!

This is the hop listing copied from the PDF.

(g) Add Attribute
Chinook 1 10 Flavour
Chinook 20 0 Aroma
Amarillo 20 0 Aroma
Simcoe 20 0 Aroma
Citra 50 Dry Hop Aroma
Simcoe 50 Dry Hop Aroma
Amarillo 50 Dry Hop Aroma
Mosaic 50 Dry Hop Aroma

Should I just adjust the 10 min addition of Chinook to hit about 30 IBU? On Beersmith, 50g's is about right?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Re: DIY dog - recipe errors? Hazy Jane

Post by Northern Brewer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Let me guess - you're using Brewsmith2 and not v3?

You don't just get bitterness from isomerisation of alpha acids during the boil, but from isomerisation from any hops in the wort above 80C, and also from a complex mix of chemicals that are released from additions after flameout. It's complicated stuff at the best of times - and before NEIPAs came along the contribution from all those late additions was minor compared to the main bittering addition at 60 minutes. So most software just ignored that late contribution until 2017 or so, more modern software takes it more seriously but even then different software takes account of different variables in different ways, so they will all give different predictions for IBU.

So I imagine you've got Brewsmith 2 which bases all its IBU calculations just on what happens in the boil, which for this kind of recipe is only a small proportion of the perceived bitterness. Follow the recipe and trust it, those chunky flameout additions will add quite a lot of bitterness.

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Follow the recipe and trust it, those chunky flameout additions will add quite a lot of bitterness.
You make some good points.

However, what is the point of a 1g addition at 10 minutes? It will not add anything. That's why I don't trust the recipe.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Actually it's just the sort of thing you see when you scale down recipes that have been designed for commercial scale - when you're brewing 20,000 litres - a small brew by Brewdog standards, they're adding 1kg which is a convenient amount.

And it will add something - a bit of hops in the boil helps shelf stability by contributing anti-oxidants. It's also a convenient point to add a variable amounts of bitterness depending on the composition of the particular batch of late hops. Having a little bit of alpha in the "standard" recipe means you can take it out if the late hops are particularly bitter, but you'd normally have it that you would be adding a little bit in the boil for an "average" batch of late hops. That kind of standardisation is less important to homebrewers but very important commercially.

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks for that.

Makes a lot more sense now.

Just put it on the Grainfather app and it now shows the bittering from the late hops.