Good Bitter Recipe Wanted (c4.5%)

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Good Bitter Recipe Wanted (c4.5%)

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 am

I'm finally happy with my base IPA recipe from which I've brewed several varieties by simply swapping hops and all of which I'm happy (albeit reluctant :wink: ) to offer others. However, I've never managed to brew what I would call a decent bitter despite numerous attempts over the last 5 years or so. These include several clones that others swear by - TT, Theakston, Fullers, Adnams etc. I was brought up with 2 locals - one Timothy Taylors the other a Free House majoring on Theakstons - just to give a clue what I'm looking for.

I'd like to use just my remaining 2019 hop crop which includes Northdown, Fuggles and Cascade as far as 'UK' varieties go although I also have Santiam and Styrian Golding. Being home-grown I haven't a clue of the alpha % so usually base bittering at the bottom of the general scale for each year.

I'd prefer to keep the malt bill simple although I'll be buying in except Maris so small additions not an issue.

I think yeast choice is important here and maybe a major contributor to not acheiving want I wanted in the past (e.g. relying on SO4 and Gervin although also used scavenged Proper Job).

One final thought..........as I prefer really hoppy beers which could be masking a poor base, it has occurred that maybe my basic process is at fault although I am now able to rapid chill rather than the previous cube method - no RIMS or HERMS though, just checking every 20 minutes during the mash.

Any suggestions appreciated..

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Good Bitter Recipe Wanted (c4.5%)

Post by vacant » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 pm

I tend to use the same yeasts as you, Gervin from Wilko's, brewing next week from Proper Job, but also 1469. I used to keep four or five yeasts in my yeast bank but now only 1469.

There are many shortcuts to getting a reasonable starter if that's the route you'd liked to follow but are put off by the faff!
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:53 pm

I would keep it to Pale malt, a bit of crystal, fuggles for hops and avoid SO2 like the plague.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:06 pm

I've not settled on a basic beer for a standard bitter , I try changing things too much and also brew them rather infrequently. I personally would limit crystal to about 5% and don't like flaked barley. Although some torrified wheat is nice for mouthfeel.

I've found the dry yeasts a bit lacking individually for bitters/pale ales, however the windsor/notty combo is decent. I'd also try ESB with another one that dries out, like notty/gervin/bry97.

For liquid, wlp002, wlp013 and the bedford one are good that I've tried.

For a starter, the "shaken not stirred" method is great especially for beers like this.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70926

For your hops, I don't know about amounts as they are homegrown. I personally like a good firm bitterness to bitters, so I would normally aim for at least 30-40IBUs before any flavour/aroma additions are added. Maybe Northdown to bitter although it's nice in a bitter late as well

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:06 pm

I made a sort of clone of Brakspears Bitter recently that I was pretty pleased with.

Based on the recipe in the CAMRA Wheeler and Protz British Beers book, but with a few changes to suit what I had in stock at the time.

It's a Southern Bitter, so may not be up your street, but was pretty straightforward.

88% Pale Malt (although I used Chevallier I had in stock)
9.8% Invert sugar No 3 (3.33% blackstrap, remainder golden syrup
2% 150EBC crystal

Mash 60 mins @ 66C
Then mash and sparge with 75C water
Boil gravity 1035
OG 1039
FG 1013
ABV 3.4%

Boil 60mins
Hops
15-16 IBU of Styrian Goldings (Original said Fuggles) @ 60mins
14 IBU of Goldings @ 60 mins
5 IBU of Goldings @ 15 mins

Fermented with S-33 @ 20C

Drinks really well for a such a low gravity beer.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks guys
vacant wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 pm
1469-west-yorkshire-ale
many shortcuts to getting a reasonable starter
1469 looks interesting but not cheap (don't forget - Yorkshire lad!)
And usually make a starter from scavenged yeast as per IPA's method
Dennis King wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:53 pm
I would keep it to Pale malt, a bit of crystal, fuggles for hops and avoid SO2 like the plague.
My thinking re malts and Fuggles. Haven't come across S02???
Hanglow wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:06 pm
Although some torrified wheat is nice for mouthfeel.
For liquid, wlp002, wlp013 and the bedford one are good that I've tried.
For a starter, the "shaken not stirred" method is great especially for beers like this.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70926
Maybe Northdown to bitter although it's nice in a bitter late as well
Never used torrified - will give it a go
Nor the yeast you've mentioned - will do some research
Bejesus - that's one hell of a post/topic
Northdown was my go to for bittering after the 2018 harvets but I had to move it elsewhere so the 2019 crop was much reduced. Majored on 1st Gold following the 2019 harvest but now run out so probably back to Northdown as you suggest as I've enough until this years crop comes in.
Cobnut wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:06 pm
It's a Southern Bitter, so may not be up your street, but was pretty straightforward.
I'm no Northern snob when it comes to beer. Old, tight and miserable yes but I've had as good a beer all over the country as we produce up here and happy to say so. Bear in mind I was born about 15 miles from Timothy Taylors brewery but only 20 miles or so from the home of Websters Bitter - about as good a cautionary qualification on spouting about who produces the best whatever as I can think of!

Thanks again

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am

Sorry SO4

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 am

Dennis King wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am
Sorry SO4
I've used several yeasts on bitters but S04 more than most - might be part of the reason why I've never been really happy with the results.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 am

It's definitely a marmite yeast. I like it in stouts, not in pales though.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Hanglow wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 am
Consensus of the best dried yeast ( I know many will say we need wet yeast, but not there yet) for these bitters would be really helpful.

I quite liked Liberty Bell but it slowly over carbs in bottles ( not in a position to move to kegs at present either!)

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:21 pm
Hanglow wrote:
Consensus of the best dried yeast ( I know many will say we need wet yeast, but not there yet) for these bitters would be really helpful.
I had good success with London ESB in a bitter: 1.040-1.012 and tasted good.
I'm just here for the beer.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:17 pm

Rookie wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:58 pm
Kingfisher4 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:21 pm
Hanglow wrote:
I had good success with London ESB in a bitter: 1.040-1.012 and tasted good.
Thanks, will try that. Slightly apprehensive with low attenuating yeast (69% above) that I'll get gushing bottles a couple of months down the line after M36 and S-33 experiences; both seem to slowly carry on munching longer chain sugars in the bottle.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 am

I've not used S04 for a long time, after switching to the Crossmyloof yeasts I've been using their Midland in darker beers. I find it more interesting than S04.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:54 am

I'm a big fan of CML yeasts , the real Ale one is really good for cask style beers .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

leedsbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:45 pm

I just brewed this

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=82638

Turned out well. Nice easy drinking ‘english’ bitter. The empire ale yeast was a bit lower on attenuation than I’d planned , but that’s because I didn’t read its characteristics properly.

When I brew it again I’ll likely use malt miller classic ale or gv12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk