Abbeydale Moonshine ?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
The Epworth Brewer
Tippler

Abbeydale Moonshine ?

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Sun May 22, 2022 11:13 am

Has anyone had a bash at this? I sent a cheeky e-mail to the brewery and got an immediate reply with the grain & hops used, and the IBU's, plus timings and target OG. Enough info for a first trial brew which I'll be doing in a couple of weeks time once I get what I need from the Malt Miller. The only hop Abbeydale use that I can't seem to get is Delta but I have some Cascade to sub with.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Re: Abbeydale Moonshine ?

Post by Doreblade » Sun May 22, 2022 1:45 pm

Not got a recipe but drink it most days so very interested to see how your recipe comes along as I'd love to have a go at it.

Care to share the details?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Epworth Brewer
Tippler

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Mon May 23, 2022 10:28 am

I did give my word that I wouldn't disclose details, although I was not specifically told I had to stick to that. But roughly:-
Low Colour Maris Otter for OG of 1041 (don't know if any other malts are used but I'm going with just MO for a first shot).
IBU 24. Seems right to me as it's not overpoweringly citrussy, which is something I hate.
Main hop is Willamette, which is only added towards the end of the boil. I use GW's Beer Engine and I'm going for the last 10 minutes to achieve 24 IBU.
Small amounts of Delta, Chinook, Citra and Centennial post boil. I'm either going to soak these once down to about 75c or in secondary.
I'm going to sub Cascade for the Delta. 5-10gms of each is a wild guess for a first attempt in a 25L batch, with probably a bit less Citra than the rest.
100gm packs of those 4 hops is going to bump the price up, although I already have the Cascade. But I'm assuming it'll need a bit of tweaking so there's plenty left to refine it. For yeast, I'm using Mangrove Jacks US West Coast APA as I've already got a few sachets in.
I'll post my first recipe when I brew it in about a weeks time, so early/mid July before I can give my opinion.

My thanks go to Laura Rangeley, Marketing & Communications Manager at Abbeydale for the info.
I just need Stancill to be as sympathetic regarding their Barnsley Bitter now.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 pm

The Epworth Brewer wrote:I did give my word that I wouldn't disclose details, although I was not specifically told I had to stick to that. But roughly:-
Low Colour Maris Otter for OG of 1041 (don't know if any other malts are used but I'm going with just MO for a first shot).
IBU 24. Seems right to me as it's not overpoweringly citrussy, which is something I hate.
Main hop is Willamette, which is only added towards the end of the boil. I use GW's Beer Engine and I'm going for the last 10 minutes to achieve 24 IBU.
Small amounts of Delta, Chinook, Citra and Centennial post boil. I'm either going to soak these once down to about 75c or in secondary.
I'm going to sub Cascade for the Delta. 5-10gms of each is a wild guess for a first attempt in a 25L batch, with probably a bit less Citra than the rest.
100gm packs of those 4 hops is going to bump the price up, although I already have the Cascade. But I'm assuming it'll need a bit of tweaking so there's plenty left to refine it. For yeast, I'm using Mangrove Jacks US West Coast APA as I've already got a few sachets in.
I'll post my first recipe when I brew it in about a weeks time, so early/mid July before I can give my opinion.

My thanks go to Laura Rangeley, Marketing & Communications Manager at Abbeydale for the info.
I just need Stancill to be as sympathetic regarding their Barnsley Bitter now.
You are a top sport for sharing all that. Good luck with the recipe development.

I might just need to have a go after my next (bellhaven 80/ planned). I, like many friends, enjoy Moonshine as its a well balanced slightly citrussy and hoppy beer so to brew similar would be fab.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dantherman
Sober

Post by dantherman » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:00 am

Hi I'm desperate to be able to make my fav pint please please tell me you crack the moonshine recipe and if so can you help me with beginners instructions as ive just started home brew and I'm really hoping this will be my firts ever pint
Many thanks