Graham Wheeler’s Wadworth 6X recipe variations

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Graham Wheeler’s Wadworth 6X recipe variations

Post by Eric » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:33 pm

Thanks for that, wonder how I managed to miss it. It was referenced in my notes so my memory could be refreshed on an annual basis.

His opening paragraph about a hop grower refusing beer to return to his plants reminded me observing lots of vineyard activity during a period in Provence. Constant trawling through the rows observing and tasting individual grapes until one day it seemed every able body for miles around were cutting and transporting bunches of grapes causing the roads to run red with spilled juice. That in turn made me wonder like is done for ripening grapes, bine leaves shrouding young flowers should be removed to let the sun bring them on more quickly. Can anyone tell me it this is normally done for hops?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

NeilE1970
Steady Drinker

Re: Graham Wheeler’s Wadworth 6X recipe variations

Post by NeilE1970 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:33 pm

Wow, what happened….this turned into a very interesting discussion.
Many thanks to Eric, micmacmoc, f00b4r and PeeBee for all the input. Now I have to check out all the links . So much to do and so little time. If only I were young again with bags of time.
Foobar, 1469 has become my favourite! What a yeast! It was my first proper yeast (not included in kits)that I had used and what an introduction. I got it with an Innkeeper beer kit from Northern Brewer, they recommended it with this brew, and it worked very well. Then since I had bought it I wanted to stretch my coin for all it was worth being a true Yorkshireman. So I had a go at harvesting and then reused about 200ml of settled yeast (probably overkill!) and pitched it in my first try at Banks’s Bitter. It bubbled nicely for the first 2 days then ..stand clear!!…it was coming out of the bubbler like a snake. For 2 days I was changing the bubbler every few hours to a clean one. But the results were fantastic. Gonna need a bigger bucket! Which I did, now I’ve got a 7 US gallon. ..bit more head room.
I’ve just got bubbling a Worthington White Shield from Grahams book and using a Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast. So I’ll probably harvest that one too.
What a hobby! It is fantastic and fascinating.
I have another topic to begin tonight also to do with Grahams book.
Thanks again fellas.