Oops! Recipe Mistake

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
monk

Oops! Recipe Mistake

Post by monk » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi guys,

I just brewed up a batch that was meant to be like the Green King Abbot ale in Dave Lines' book, BBLTYB. However, instead of adding 2 oz. of roasted malt, I added about 3 oz. of BLACK Patent Malt. I didn't realize the mistake until after I finished. I get confused between all the roasted grains (i.e. roasted barley, black roasted malt, black patent malt, etc.), are some of these just shortened names for the same thing, like maybe black patent and black roasted malt are the same?

Anywhoo, the ale should end up interesting. It's fairly dark, as you might guess, but also hoppy in bitterness and aroma, with some sweet crystal malt and lyle's golden syrup. I'm curious to see how it turns out. And I suppose it's not really an issue of hitting close to the clone mark, because I've never had Green King anyway!

Cheers and happy brewing.

monk

Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:59 pm

Let us know how it turns out, Monk. You never know, Green King might be banging your door down to get the recipe soon :lol:

Sometimes the mistakes make the best beers. Gets you out of your normal thought process!

/Phil.

monk

Post by monk » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Well then. I just tried the Green King last night--which I ended up putting 4 oz. (typo above) of black malt into, instead of 2 oz of roasted malt--and it tasted quite good, actually. It's a light brownish color (think Fuller's ESB but a shade lighter) and has a touch of roasted flavor with some good hop bitterness. Just tossed in the dry hops this morning before work. This just might shape up into something quite nice. Good thing homebrewing is pretty forgiving.

Cheers,
monk