Wheat Beer recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
layangman

Wheat Beer recipe

Post by layangman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:23 am

Hi All,

I am trying out a wheat beer recipe next.
I am ready and geared to go into a partial-mash.
Would appreciate if any of you could give some tips on this one.

Saw a recipe that requires unmalted wheat (adjunct). It is quite difficult to come by grains here and I was happy to find organic unmalted wheat in a health food store. Now does this kind of wheat fit the bill as an adjunct?

Cheers.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:58 pm

Good luck with it, Layangman.

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, as I've never made a wheat beer. Perhaps someone else can??

Regarding the grain, unmalted barley is used as an adjunct in some English ales, but you can't use raw barley, is has to be gelatinised by cooking it first, and it's then rolled flat. It's sold here as 'Flaked Barley'. It's possible that raw wheat would have to be treated the same way, but I'm not sure.

layangman

Post by layangman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:08 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks!
Been surfing on the internet and found that those wheat sold at health food stores can be used as an adjunct, but it needs to be crushed first and then added to the mash.

Unmalted wheat has a stronger flavor, if just using malted wheat, the unique Hoegaarden Wit Bier flavor cannot be achieved. Well, so far my last batch of lager with some crushed coriander and lime juice/rind has been successful, quite tasty actually, but lacked the body I was looking for.

Cheers!