Water treatment

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Water treatment

Post by Andy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:22 am

Any of you guys do any special prep. to the water you're using for a brew session ?

Add anything, stand water overnight pre-brew to drive out chlorine ?

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:46 am

I think there are a couple of threads in the Extract forum on water treatment, Andy, if that helps...

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:53 am

Doh - oh yeah. Did a search but didn't pick up anything :blink:

Cheers!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:03 am

Everybody's water supply is likely to be a bit different, so you have to be careful; experimentation is the way to find how to get the best out of your own particular water supply. Measuring the mash pH is a good guide as to whether you're getting it right.

I mix a level teaspoon of gypsum with 5 gall then put the water through a wine filter to remove any sediment.

The filter is generally pretty brown after 8 or 9 gallons go through it, which I assume is sediment in the water supply (and I'd rather not have itin my beer!).

I then let it stand overnight before use.

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:08 am

I think for my first brew I'll just let the liquor stand overnight before use and
not bother adding anything. Will probably note down the mash Ph as that's
easy to do. Taking copious notes all the way of course....
I can then think about water treatment for future brews depending upon the
taste and pH of brew #1.

sagwalla

Post by sagwalla » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:27 pm

I have been boiling the night before (if I remember), then cooling, then reheating (as required) as I'm trying to do early morning brews these days to take advantage of daylight at cleanup time.

I also put in a couple mls of lactic acid for the mash about about 5ml for the sparge. I put CaSO4 and MgSO4 in the grist. All as recommended by Richard at Cheers.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:47 pm

QUOTE (jim @ Dec 10 2005, 09:03 AM) I then let it stand overnight before use.
What does this achieve? :huh:

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:53 pm

Lets any chlorine present in the water come out of solution and evaporate

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Ah, thought so...Chemistry lessons too distant a memory... I'm having a bit of a 'dumb as a post' night tonight! :bonk

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:30 am

For my last few brews, I've been running my water through a water jug filter. Like the "Brita" type. Just to experiment if it made a difference to normal tap water.

I was amazed at the improvement to the taste of my beer. Seemed to give the flavour much more body & removed a slight bitter after taste the non filtered water had previously.

It's just a bit of a pain filtering 5 gallons or more through a small jug though. Now I know it makes an improvement, I might have to look at a point of use water filter.

RR.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:09 am

Hi RR, welcome to the forum!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a water filter as well. At the moment I use a wine filter, which removes most of the crap (sandy type stuff) but doesn't get rid of the chlorine, of course.

I'm suspicious of my water, as it doesn't taste all that good straight from the tap, so it must be affecting the beer.

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:36 am

Check out this ebay sale 4435216663

*** I've added a link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26fvi%3D1 to the item in question. Sorry to intrude... :D ...Reg ***

this is not the only type available but i am assumning they are all the same (i have never found a difference between brita cartridges and cheaper alsi ones, its all the same chemical reactions inside). Wickes sells one for £35 and cartridges are £15.

these things last around 6 months and are great. oyu get a flow af around 1/2 gal a minute so you get good tasting water in no time!

i cant drink the water straight out of the tap but filtering makes it just as good if not better than bottled water. so i am assuming it makes a difference to the beer. :D

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:50 pm

I just got a cheap filter jug from Argos. It was the biggest one they do (1.8 Litre) and also the cheapest, £8 I think it was.

Brita ones are rediculously expensive, as you're obviously just paying for the name. The cartridges I get from QD stores, they're just a cheapy homewares type of shop. £3.98 for 3 cartridges. As oposed to the Brita ones which are about £12 for 3 I think.

If you're interested in the technical stuff about them, it says they contain Activated Silverised Carbon and Ion Exchange Resim. Means nothing to me, but it seems to work well. They apparently reduce Chlorine Levels, Sediments, Pesticides, Heavy Metals and Carbonate Hardness.

I use it also for water I boil in my kettle, as it stops the calcium build up.

RR

James

Post by James » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:49 pm

RR,

That cartridge should be fine. Activated carbon/ion exchange resins are within reason, very similar - there is nothing terribly complicated in their make up.

The only thing a better quality (more expensive?) cartrige may have is better quality, and larger amounts carbon/resin, which may give longer servcie life, but nothing that more frequent cartridge replacement wouldn't cure, but your right, Britas are overpriced.

JC

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:50 am

Well I'm not too well up on the chemistry behind these filter cartridges. As I said, I was just experimenting realy and it worked for me, it seemed to make a vast improvement to my beer.

I can't say I've noticed any salty taste in either the filtered water or my beer brewed with the filtered water so far. But DAAB, if all I notice now is a "SALTY" taste in my beer, I'll blame you for it, as my sub concious will now be looking out for it and tricking my mind into thinking I can taste salt :P :bonk

Maybe if I tell you, I've heard alledgedly that the B&Q filter you use makes beer taste like Gnats Pee, then that might take my mind off the salty taste of my own beer :D :P :D

Enjoy :beer

RR.