Marston's Old Empire

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Marston's Old Empire

Post by Reg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:17 am

Mmmm... supped a few of this classic, medium strong, (5.7%), India plae ale tonight. Hoppy, full and nutty. Lovely bottle conditioned pale ale.

Thinking of having a pop at something similar but only pedigree and one other in Graham Wheeler. Anybody got any good pale ale recipes I can adapt?

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:54 am

drunk also an IPA, absolutly gorgeous, it was (finished my glass :( ) an East Indian Pale Ale from the Teignworthy brewery brewed from especially kilned east indian malt, 6.5 % :P I recommend it B)

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:42 am

QUOTE (jean-yves @ Feb 25 2006, 10:54 PM) drunk also an IPA, absolutly gorgeous, it was (finished my glass :( ) an East Indian Pale Ale from the Teignworthy brewery brewed from especially kilned east indian malt, 6.5 % :P I recommend it B)
Yum!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:41 am

Two seperate mashes, eh?!

A lot of work, but presumably that's to get the right balance of maltose/dextrins. The 69C mash will kill off most of the alpha amylase, I would think, so the main product of the second mash would be dextrins.

Have you ever made a 2 mash recipe, DAAB?

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:43 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Feb 26 2006, 10:56 AM) I've often contemplated a similar teqnique in the form of batch sparging, before I bought Phills Sparge Arm at least. Hitting 69 degrees for the second mash may be a little difficult as it will depend on the final temperature of the grains and the quantity of water required compared to what remains in the grains.
Looking at Wheelers hb book, apparently alpha-amylase works between 60-70 deg c and they convert startch to dextrins. Beta-amylase works best at 60, progressively getting "deactivated" as temperature increases. So accoring to him there would be more alpha activity than beta and like you said, more dextrins would be produced.

Interestingly enough he goes on to say that a highly fermentable wort of 70% maltose can be made by mashing at 60, then 70 degc and that drier lagers are produced this way. Pale ales, according to him are mashed at 65 deg.

By my reckoning mashing at 66 then 69 would produce a sweet ale with a lot of body and would probably be best matured over a long period (hence lots of hops).
It does sound yum.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:43 pm

Marston's Double Drop is a much better brew IMHO. :beer

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:03 pm

surely 375g of hops is too much! :o