" Ditch's Stout " Master Class .....

Want to experiment with additions and tweaks to beer kits? This is the place to post.
micmacmoc

Re: " Ditch's Stout " Master Class .....

Post by micmacmoc » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:47 am

Its a BEAST, its escaping out of the fermenter and attacking the neighbouring fermenter of cascade ale, I think I may need to call in pest controllers, does it bite?

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am

Ditch wrote: Crash on and enjoy! It'll be Officially Acceptable Ditch's Stout :D
I reckon you're gonna have to start issuing official "Approved by Ditch" labels... Image

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:24 am

Yeah; But I'd need a batch sent to me, for 'Quality Assurance' before I could give it my mark of approval! :twisted:

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Mines a drinkable one now, bloody superb!
Thanks Ditch, hope the back improves, try to keep smiling.
I can't believe this is a kit, very good stuff.
moc
cornwall

marklale

Post by marklale » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi Ditch, i finally got all the ingredients (long story) and made the stout today. so im well on my way. Ive got a couple of questions if you dont mind. How much suger do you use to prime the stout when you put it into the keg after the 1st ten day fermentation? and how long do you leave it in the keg until its ready to drink? Cheers i hope your backs better.Marklale

LeedsLad

Post by LeedsLad » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Just looking on thrifty shopper and there is Coopers Original Stout and Thomas Cooper Selection Irish Stout. Has anyone compared the two?

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:27 pm

Yes, mate. And the standard kit still suits me fine :)

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Sorry, Mark. Never noticed ye own question, bumped up by Leeds there.

I don't prime my Kegs. Never have. Now, while I recognise that this is simply Not how it's done. Personally? Nor could I give a flying f**k. I enjoy my results. End of.

How long do I leave it in the Keg before getting amongst it. Err ..... As soon as it's in there, at a push. Though, I'll concede, a few more days can make a quite shattering difference to the flavour.

How about trying a couple of pints a day? See what ye think of the changes by the time ye've swallowed it all?

marklale

Post by marklale » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Ditch, niceone. A couple of pints a day does sound good. Im planning on brewing another batch for christmas in Germany just to make it a bit more bearable. I was just wondering about how long it takes so when i make another load i havent drank the lot by the time December comes. Cheers. Marklale

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:30 pm

'How long it takes'? Not with ye, mate. How long what takes? :|

Quite frankly, if ye looking at a keg for December 25th? I'd plan to get that on around about the second week in November, give or take.

Of course, this'd be very much a case of 'Do as I say. Not do as I do.' Because I'm trying to pass on the Industry Standard ideas here. Personally? A couple of weeks sat in the Keg is more than enough for me and I feel it tastes superb then. But, most people will swear up, down and sideways that a keg isn't worth touching till the beer's sat and stewed for a month, at least.

Up to them, of course. As it is up to you :wink:

marklale

Post by marklale » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Ditch, i was just refering to my first question when i asked how long it( the stout) would take.Forget it im confusing myself now and i havent even had anything to drink. Anyway thanks for your help.Ill start a batch around the start of November.Take it easy.Mark

marklale

Post by marklale » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:06 pm

Just kegged it! I had a little taste it tastes nice already. Just got to play the waiting game now.Cheers.Mark

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:35 am

Don't break ye balls over the waiting game, Mark. I find it tastes bloody great after just two weeks in the keg.

We all have different tastes, of course. But, I've tried mine on other people, that 'early', and have had some lip smacking results :D

marklale

Post by marklale » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Ditch, ill test it every week and when it tastes too good to leave alone ill get stuck in :D Take it easy.Mark

BoozeMuse

Post by BoozeMuse » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:11 am

Hi Ditch,
Ditch wrote:I don't prime my Kegs. Never have.
Just a quick question...does this mean your pints don't have a head on them?

Cheers
BM