Beer Gun or counter pressure filler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
fordpopular
Piss Artist

Beer Gun or counter pressure filler

Post by fordpopular » Mon May 30, 2016 6:01 pm

I would like to bottle from my kegs and have been looking at beer guns and CP fillers would a CP filler be better than a beer gun as it seals the bottle and equalises the pressure keeping foaming down or is that overkill ..or is it just a case of keeping everything cold and using a beer gun ?

Goulders
Under the Table

Re: Beer Gun or counter pressure filler

Post by Goulders » Mon May 30, 2016 7:38 pm

The Pegas type are dead easy to set up and use, although you'll need to make a washer for glass bottles
[url]http://forum.c%20raftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1200#p117035[/url]

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon May 30, 2016 7:54 pm

The Pegas evolution evolution

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:17 pm

you could knock up a CP bottle filler like this if you use PET bottles? Cost me less than a tenner
Attachments
image.jpg
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

fordpopular
Piss Artist

Post by fordpopular » Mon May 30, 2016 9:53 pm

I have seen a few DIY CP fillers which look simple enough to make and will probably go down that route, I do like the look of the Pegas thing a real one looks expensive but found this on Aliexpress maybe worth a punt http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stainles ... 05270.html

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon May 30, 2016 10:12 pm

fordpopular wrote:I have seen a few DIY CP fillers which look simple enough to make and will probably go down that route, I do like the look of the Pegas thing a real one looks expensive but found this on Aliexpress maybe worth a punt http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stainles ... 05270.html
Many people use the CRO versions of the Pegas tap, such as the one you have linked to, they work and are great value for money, they do however still have the internal workings of a kitchen cartridge mixer tap so clean wisely.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Tue May 31, 2016 1:14 pm

Dug out my blichmann beer gun at the weekend and I hate the damn thing, it is honestly easier just filling bottles from a tap. I'm now in the market for an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

endatheworld
Tippler

Post by endatheworld » Tue May 31, 2016 1:31 pm

fordpopular wrote:I would like to bottle from my kegs and have been looking at beer guns and CP fillers would a CP filler be better than a beer gun as it seals the bottle and equalises the pressure keeping foaming down or is that overkill ..or is it just a case of keeping everything cold and using a beer gun ?
I use one of these Carbonation caps to fill bottles from Keg. Its easy enough but a little time consuming if you where planning on doing a full batch but If you only do a few a time its a cheap option. They are also very usefull for cleaning your kegerator line.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Tue May 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Stoat on a rope wrote:Dug out my blichmann beer gun at the weekend and I hate the damn thing, it is honestly easier just filling bottles from a tap. I'm now in the market for an alternative.

I have a Blichmann copy from Angel Homebrew (half the price) and have the opposite experience. I’ve found it really good and relatively easy to use.
It takes some fiddling around with to get it set up properly but really pleased with the results. The key things I found are:

1) Make sure keg, bottles and lines are chilled as much as possible.
2) Reduce pressure down to 3-5 PSI when filling.
3) The plastic end cap is a pain in the arse, keep an eye that it doesn’t fall off.

I bottled a lager in March with it and opened some bottles this weekend and it’s perfectly carbonated and still tastes just as good.
Attachments
IMG_8331.JPG

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 31, 2016 1:41 pm

The beauty of the Pegas is once you have it permanently mounted its utility becomes an overwhelming advantage. Filling the odd bottle for a friend etc or as you are nipping out to someone for a meal, you are quite happy to take a few minutes to fill a bottle or two because it is so easy. As you can see, you can mount a tap to it to dispense with as well, what's not to like?

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm

endatheworld wrote:
I use one of these Carbonation caps to fill bottles from Keg. Its easy enough but a little time consuming if you where planning on doing a full batch but If you only do a few a time its a cheap option. They are also very usefull for cleaning your kegerator line.
That carbonation cap looks really useful - think I might have to grab one. Are there any issues with oxygen when taking the cap off & replacing with the normal PET cap? I'm also thinking that this might be an easy way to deal with 1-2l of extra beer that won't quite fit in a keg - just stick it in a 2l coke bottle with one of these caps and put it on the shelf in my keezer.

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Tue May 31, 2016 2:12 pm

Where's the best place to buy a Pegasus then? Are the cheap China ones ok? I cant seem to find a proper one just the cheap ones from China so can't compare them.

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Tue May 31, 2016 2:16 pm

windrider wrote:
Stoat on a rope wrote:Dug out my blichmann beer gun at the weekend and I hate the damn thing, it is honestly easier just filling bottles from a tap. I'm now in the market for an alternative.

I have a Blichmann copy from Angel Homebrew (half the price) and have the opposite experience. I’ve found it really good and relatively easy to use.
It takes some fiddling around with to get it set up properly but really pleased with the results. The key things I found are:

1) Make sure keg, bottles and lines are chilled as much as possible.
2) Reduce pressure down to 3-5 PSI when filling.
3) The plastic end cap is a pain in the arse, keep an eye that it doesn’t fall off.

I bottled a lager in March with it and opened some bottles this weekend and it’s perfectly carbonated and still tastes just as good.
Fair enough if it works for you but I've tried everything and can't get foaming to reduce to a minimal level, my bottles always end up under carbonated. Best thing I did was cut the beer line shorter but it's not enough.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Tue May 31, 2016 2:41 pm

orlando wrote:The beauty of the Pegas is once you have it permanently mounted its utility becomes an overwhelming advantage. Filling the odd bottle for a friend etc or as you are nipping out to someone for a meal, you are quite happy to take a few minutes to fill a bottle or two because it is so easy. As you can see, you can mount a tap to it to dispense with as well, what's not to like?

I have to admit that does look the business. Might have to add it to my shopping list :lol:

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Stoat on a rope wrote:Where's the best place to buy a Pegasus then? Are the cheap China ones ok? I cant seem to find a proper one just the cheap ones from China so can't compare them.
Can't hep you with a winged horse :D but the guy a lot of us have got them from is a guy in Lithuania. These are the genuine article so are much more than the CRO's. The latest version the Evolution is the one to go for but could be £80-100 with VAT and carriage, depends on where the Euro is as well. Ask him for a deal without VAT involved he might be able to swing it but I bought mine from him a while ago and things change. email address is info@pegas.lt You can mention you heard from a few home brewers that he has supplied them and he might give you a slight better deal hoping you will tell more. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer