Cannular Canning Machine

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3491
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK.

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by WalesAles » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 am

barneey wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 pm
Just uploaded the 2nd part.
barneey,
Have you got a link to the 2nd part please?

WA

User avatar
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: East Kent

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by barneey » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:20 am

WalesAles wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 am
barneey wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 pm
Just uploaded the 2nd part.
barneey,
Have you got a link to the 2nd part please?

WA
Sure :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzibfThdhb4

User avatar
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: East Kent

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by barneey » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Just a small update, progress is a little slow on the counter pressure filler, baby steps at the moment.

Image

User avatar
mozza
Under the Table
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by mozza » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:03 am

Well couldn’t resist and mine arrived last week Image
Such a well made piece of kit. I ordered mine from Brewkegtap who have a good offer on. The machine came with an extra die to fit the more common 202 lids.

I’ve not set it up yet but I have feeler Gages at the ready!
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

User avatar
angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 am
Location: Chesterfield
Contact:

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by angelHomeBrew » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 am

Interested if manage to get the kegland CDL chuck seaming with U.K. cans

User avatar
LeeH
Under the Table
Posts: 1730
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: North Lincs
Contact:

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by LeeH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 am

I want one but the can cost still bothers me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

User avatar
angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 am
Location: Chesterfield
Contact:

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by angelHomeBrew » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Yeah adding to your end product cost a bit compared to reusable bottles or kegs

Think cheapest is 18p per can we do

Just to clarify, the chuck we fit to machines has been manufactured in the U.K. designed and handled by the U.K. commercial canning company who fit, adjust and test the machine

Previous question posted was asking if the kegland CDL chuck has be tried with U.K. cans

User avatar
Goosey
Piss Artist
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 am
Location: SW France
Contact:

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by Goosey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 am

Have you watched the videos with subtitles on? Very funny! Especially when the machine is turned on for the first time :)

User avatar
mozza
Under the Table
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm
Location: Essex

Cannular Canning Machine

Post by mozza » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Well my machine was just as painful to set up as Barneey’s I’m afraid. But I got there in the end. Whilst I had the cover off I took the liberty to remove the rollers and oil the bearings.

Also applied some copper grease to the threads in the hope that for future adjustments it makes it easier (one of the bolts for adjusting the height of the roller was stuck fast and I nearly rounded the Allen key head of the bolt loosening it off).

I have a batch of stout ready to go into a keg next week so I’ll can half a dozen and add priming sugar as a test of the seam. Happy with how it looked after cutting a few cross sections from test cans.

Overall as Barneey said, feeler gages are pretty useless. In the end I did it by eye and then had to tweak the gaps slightly.
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

User avatar
angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 am
Location: Chesterfield
Contact:

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by angelHomeBrew » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Good job, you’ve done well

Getting it concentric and the right table height also important

User avatar
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: East Kent

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by barneey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Goosey wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 am
Have you watched the videos with subtitles on? Very funny! Especially when the machine is turned on for the first time :)
:D Quite a bit of bad language as well on the sub-tities :D #-o

User avatar
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: East Kent

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by barneey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:17 pm

mozza wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm
Well my machine was just as painful to set up as Barneey’s I’m afraid. But I got there in the end. Whilst I had the cover off I took the liberty to remove the rollers and oil the bearings.

Also applied some copper grease to the threads in the hope that for future adjustments it makes it easier (one of the bolts for adjusting the height of the roller was stuck fast and I nearly rounded the Allen key head of the bolt loosening it off).

I have a batch of stout ready to go into a keg next week so I’ll can half a dozen and add priming sugar as a test of the seam. Happy with how it looked after cutting a few cross sections from test cans.

Overall as Barneey said, feeler gages are pretty useless. In the end I did it by eye and then had to tweak the gaps slightly.

Glad you got it sorted, what cans did you use / what chuck?

User avatar
mozza
Under the Table
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by mozza » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:52 am

Ordered a couple hundred of the B64 cans that Brewkegtap sell with the machine- more expensive but when you factor in the deal and free shipping it made sense.

At some stage I’ll look into buying some cheaper cans, maybe in bulk
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

User avatar
angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 am
Location: Chesterfield
Contact:

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by angelHomeBrew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 am

The extra cost on ours really is down to the cost of having the chuck manufactured in the U.K. and the cost of having engineer from professional canning company fit the chuck adjust and test the machine

Still happy to have gone this was and they are popular

The U.K. cans are cheaper

I really didn’t want to sell machine with B64 chuck as the cans will become less and less available

McCoy
Sober
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by McCoy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Are UK cans CDL? B64 and CDL lids fits the same cans...

Post Reply