Inkbird ITC-308S Problem(s)

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Inkbird ITC-308S Problem(s)

Post by MarkA » Mon May 20, 2024 10:16 pm

I've posted before about problems I've had with my Inkbird temp controller, but this time it's gone too far! I've put up with having to recalibrate it on a far too regular basis, temps jumping about all over the place etc

I made a brew on Friday and tucked it away in the fridge with the Inkbird set at 20 degrees. It's been fine all weekend until this morning when I looked and it was reading the wort as -4. The fridge isn't even plugged in (due to the endless jumping about of temp and the fridge cycling on and off) and when I checked the temp of the wort, it read 35 degrees!! WTF???

It's time for the bin unless anyone has any suggestions? Maybe it's the temp probe that's knackered? If so, are there any other makes of better quality that would fit?

Oh, and the yeast was Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out!

Cheers

nallum
Sober

Re: Inkbird ITC-308S Problem(s)

Post by nallum » Sat May 25, 2024 2:12 pm

Sounds like it’s faulty. How long have you had it? Passed the 12 month warranty, knowing Sod’s Law. I’d replace the NTC probe to test it. Cheapest option.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sat May 25, 2024 2:38 pm

nallum wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:12 pm
Sounds like it’s faulty. How long have you had it? Passed the 12 month warranty, knowing Sod’s Law. I’d replace the NTC probe to test it. Cheapest option.
I think I've had it about 8 years, so slightly out of warranty! I guess it's not done bad, though has had issues metioned above along the way.

I've got a longer probe on order so will see if it's any better, cheers.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun May 26, 2024 6:29 am

Not sure about this, but I vaguely remember something about older Inkbirds having this problem. Don't know if it was the probe or the electronics.

Mine are about 4 years old and are problem free.

Perhaps a new one is the way to go.

Best of luck!

Guy

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sun May 26, 2024 8:20 am

Cheers Guy, I think you're right but nothing to lose in trying a new probe. If all else fails, I'll have a newer Inkbird and a spare probe as a back-up

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun May 26, 2024 11:19 am

Just looked at the two Inkbirds I have. Neither has a detachable probe.

Does yours, or will you need to cut the cable or get inside the case to replace it?

Guy

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sun May 26, 2024 2:43 pm

Mine's got a detachable probe, it looks the same as a headphone socket and plug so easy to swap

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:39 am

I got THIS probe from ebay (I made an offer of £8.99 and it was accepted) and it looks like it's working fine now. I've got it stuck in water in the brewfridge and it's consistently reading the same as my Thermapen. I decided on the longer one so the wire join is not sitting in the liquid.

Also, the beer that was fermenting at 35 degrees is now in the bottle and perfectly drinkable, so a happy ending!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:45 am

Excellent news.
Been fiddling recently, and I have come to the conclusion "any doubt replace the probe". Works like a charm.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:56 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:45 am
Excellent news.
Been fiddling recently, and I have come to the conclusion "any doubt replace the probe". Works like a charm.
It certainly seems to be the answer, I think I'll order a spare in case of future issues.