Polypin Management

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PEZ

Re: Polypin Management

Post by PEZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:12 pm

i've just put about 30 pints in, squashed the air out so its got more room to expand??and sealed. havin a smoke now will bottle the rest i reckon just to give me a bit more bag to play with :shock:
added about 10 bottles worth of honey to the polypin, will upload the pics at some point :lol:

also found these useful links on the topic:

http://boakandbailey.com/?p=378

http://boakandbailey.com/?p=1379

i'll keep you updated, i hope it doesnt explode cos its in the cupboard right next to my bed, will leave it there overnight then move to the garage i reckon

J_P

Post by J_P » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 pm

If you keep the pins cool they'll keep the condition with little or no need for priming, serving through a handpump becomes so much easier with a polypin. The beer tastes great with just the residual carbonation IMO

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:36 pm

glad you said that j_p cos i just realised i have made a schoolboy error!! (not for the first time)
i added honey initially hoping to add more at a later date, it is only now the polypin is swelling that i realised by adding more
honey i will let all the gas out!!! so i just gonna have to go with it with the little bit i added... i am using a nelsons revenge kit.
its been in my cupboard (about 18degrees) for a couple of days and i'll move it to somewhere cold tomorrow.. will the fridge do?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 pm

You are better using you garage rather than the fridge

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

is that cos the fridge is too cold? i could turn it down/up cos thats all thatd be in there or still too much coldness?

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:13 pm

My garage is 15c at the moment, apart from the middle of summer will stay within a few degrees of that all year. What are you brewing? as that will make a difference.

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 pm

nelsons revenge - woodfordes ale kit

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:16 pm

PEZ wrote:nelsons revenge - woodfordes ale kit
I would look to store around 12c-15c for ales.

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:04 pm

put it in the garage this morning. was sloshin about everywhere as i moved it :( its inevitable tho surely.. i let a tiny bit of air out this evening cos i swear it was hard as a brick completely swollen, wouldnt be surprised if its gone pop by the mornin! hope not tho

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:16 am

keep venting if its tight

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Any news on how its going Pez, and how long before its ready. Remember if you do it carefully you can roll back the pin to let off gas. I`m quite experienced at this which is why I let mine blow up as much. Don`t let get to tight on your 1st one.

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 pm

today the first day i havent checked it. oh god i nervous now but toolate to go rooting around. i got it on its back anyway so can let gas out as i go. gonna let some out and bring into the fridge tomorrow if it hasnt exploded. will definately have to check before work in the mornin. still tempted to add the rest of the honey and let all current gas out but dunno if thats a wise idea. best to test a pint i suppose, will do that tomorrow too again if not exploded!

if it has i wont give up i'll just keep a closer eye on it next time.. been warm too hasnt it!!

also, if it has exploded then iget to buy another polypin full of skinners heligans honey or summerskills devon dew

every cloud etc...

will let u know and try get these pictures off my phone asap!!

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 pm

also, loads of sediment seems to have formed in the bottom! is this normal?! :shock:

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 pm

brrrrrrrrrrrrr its cold! just been out and let some gas out... was solid again!! garage is across the road so bit of an effort like, steps at the front too haha

thanks for your support on this brew dudes!

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 pm

PEZ wrote:also, loads of sediment seems to have formed in the bottom! is this normal?! :shock:
Yes