Calling Beer Engine experts

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Calling Beer Engine experts

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Glad you got sorted out.

Now you can enjoy the full beer engine experience! :)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Chassyh

Post by Chassyh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi all here I am again with beer engine questions.
I have recently purchased 2 second hand Angram type CO pumps. They work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.

I have noticed this happening in some pubs, without seeing if the offending engines were Angrams, anyone have any ideas to stop this? Thanks

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 pm

Chassyh wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 pm
work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.
Beer engine or bedroom advice? :=P
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2019......... 208
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

PeeBee
Hollow Legs

Post by PeeBee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Chassyh wrote:
Hi all here I am again with beer engine questions.
I have recently purchased 2 second hand Angram type CO pumps. They work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.

I have noticed this happening in some pubs, without seeing if the offending engines were Angrams, anyone have any ideas to stop this? Thanks
A likely culprit is the "flap" valves in the cylinder. Any handpump would have them. Those valves do wear out or otherwise not effect a very good seal (in bad cases some handpumps will suck beer back from the glass - if the nozzle is submerged as is commonly the case with "swan-neck" or "northern" nozzles - but some pumps can be heard sucking back air too). You can imagine the "flap" will make a noise if it is not sealing, or a bit loose when open - like blowing across a blade of grass held between your thumbs (if you ever did that sort of thing).

The "flap" valves don't have to be worn. They can operate in a less than optimum manner even if new or replaced.

PeeBee
Hollow Legs

Post by PeeBee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:59 pm

BarnsleyBrewer wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 pm
Chassyh wrote:
work very well out of the box but seem to ‘groan’ whilst in operation. I thought it may be the springs, but after some lubrication of them, the groaning continues on the downstroke.
Beer engine or bedroom advice? :=P
I suddenly feel like I'm taking the question too seriously with my last reply.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm

I've just finished stripping and cleaning a couple of EWL items.

I made the mistake of removing the cylinder first. I found it impossible to undo the nut until I bolted the cylinder back onto the chassis.

Jim's advice, to clamp the big nut at the bottom into a vice or similar (I used a workmate), and twist the whole pump, is a good one.

The water jackets were pretty mucky on the outside, but Cilit Bang [the one with mould remover] did a great job of cleaning off the black, hard to remove stuff.

All back together now, and working fine.