Bucket for electric DIY boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Bucket for electric DIY boiler

Post by dean_wales » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Where is the cheapest place in the UK to get a bucket for building a kettle element boiler for 5 gallon brews.

Im ideally looking for a 6 Gallon plus bucket to allow headroom.

Everywhere seems to charge a packet for something that costs next to nothing to manufacture?!?!?

Thanks,

Dean.
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Bucket for electric DIY boiler

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Watch out for those blue plastic tubs which are used for the supply all sorts of things in bulk, like chutney and dry goods. You may pick something up from a local business or try flea-bay. At the moment I am using a Youngs 30l FV.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

prolix

Post by prolix » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:53 pm

some times cheap is what you pay for, make sure the plastic is not too thin.

I would second the blue tubs as cheap and safe if you can get a good deal, don't seem to be any smaller ones on the bay atm

correction I found this one on ebay by searching google

here
Last edited by prolix on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexe
Steady Drinker

Post by alexe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:59 pm

This place seems to have fairly cheap bucktes, especially if you buy a few.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Maybe a bit off-topic, but if you have the option I'd suggest not to getting 'too' swayed by cheap when it comes to all that boiling wort. If you want plastic then ideally something reasonably chunky in polypropylene would be the ticket.

Some people use thick walled HDPE - I believe some of those blue barrels are made of this - but its towards the minimum of whats adequate and there have been recent posts on it sagging; I won't fly in the face of popularity, but for myself I wouldn't want to use it for boiling. Smiths of the forest of dean and dvfuels have a range of new and recycled tanks like that anyway - though not all are suitable for food use.

Cheers,
kev
Kev

haz66

Post by haz66 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm

alexe wrote:This place seems to have fairly cheap bucktes, especially if you buy a few.
Thats where i`ve just got my 4no 120 ltr FV`s from, they charge a packet for postage but they do allow pick up :D

As for buckets for boilers, Leyland Homebrew sell a ready made boiler which is basically their 30ltr plastic bucket with an element in it,
so just buy one of their buckets and stick your own element in, i used one of theirs for 2 years and 66 AG brews with no problems at all,
cant remember prices but the bucket was reasonable but to buy as a boiler was quite expensive.

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 pm

I phoned round local curry houses for one of the ~40 litre(ish) mango chutney bins until I found one that
(a) had an already empty barrel and
(b) would let me have it

Used it successfully for about 10 brews now, but the moulding is sagging on the bottom as reported elsewhere on this forum.
I will change to a different boiler container for safety's sake as soon as I can find something suitable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The PP barley bottom 60-litre bins have had the wall thickness reduced by the manufacturer, and so are no longer any good, and generally a stainless 50 litre pot is well over £100 everywhere I have seen.