Corni Problem....and it's not to do with foam!!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
thedeckking

Corni Problem....and it's not to do with foam!!

Post by thedeckking » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 pm

I've got 2 new corni's from norm and having problems with 1 of them. When pressurised it's leaking around the lid seal. I've tried swapping the lid and seal from the other one which I know is OK and it still leaks.
Any ideas??

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Re: Corni Problem....and it's not to do with foam!!

Post by Andy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Clean the inside lip of the cornie opening really well, there may be some dirt etc which is preventing a good seal. Also try dunking the lid o-ring in hot water before sealing it up, makes it more pliable. What PSI are you sealing at ? Some of my cornies only seal up at > 10psi.
Dan!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 pm

+1 for Andy's thoughts. Also I've found that wiggling the lid slightly whilst its under pressure can help it to find the best position to seat. Some of mine seal better than others: one of my cornies has a slightly untrue rim and needs around 20psi to seat it initially - it won't even get to that pressure though without a bit of lid wiggling to stop enough gas escaping.

Cheers
kev
Kev

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Yes to both of those. Also, you may try a small square of cardboard or a thin coin under each lid foot.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:53 pm

...and try rotating the lid through 180 degrees. One of mine seals better one way round than the other. I usually hit mine with 30 PSI to seal them (any advance on 30??? :D )

robj20

Post by robj20 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 pm

40psi to seal mine. Little bit of Vaseline on one of mine as well.

thedeckking

Post by thedeckking » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have a feeling it's the lid feet not applying enough pressure that's the problem, so I'll try coins under them 1st. If it's the lack of pressure then do you set to the high pressure then reduce it after you've got a seal?
If it's short legs that's the problem has anyone got any ideas on a more permant fix than using coins?

robj20

Post by robj20 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:05 pm

You could try taking the little boots of the legs and putting something in them the extend them a little, or get a slightly larger main sealing ring if they are available. I put 40psi in and leave it it will all but disappear into what ever is in there after a couple of days and leaves me with a fizz that i like.

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 pm

I've cranked one of mine up to 60 psi :-) Sub

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:02 pm

As above, take the boots off and add some packing material (paper?) in the boot + refit. Or check if the legs are splayed a bit, may be possible to bend them back in.
Dan!

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:20 pm

The lid feet are usually not very good at applying a uniform pressure on the lid. Before I sussed out my "polarised" lid I would fit the lid and instead of closing the "lid handle" I would lift the full cornie off the ground using the lid handle and then apply gas to seal the lid, so the lid had about 20kg pulling it closed then the gas could make the seal. It was a tad fiddly though.

Hawkinspm

Post by Hawkinspm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

I have a few where the lids have to be the 'right' way around to get a good seal. Some need more pressure than others as well - 20 psi normally does the job though.

I have been looking at the red lid seals from candirect - I believe they are meant to be softer to get a seal easier - anyone tried them ?

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi I had a similar problem, the neck is slightly out of shape,the odd thing is that overpressure stops the gas leak, but when i tip it up I get a liquid leak
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

thedeckking

Post by thedeckking » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Finally had time to have a play and with a combination of bending the legs (which I noticed didn't stick out as far as on my other lids) and a little jiggle I've got the keg to seal :D
Unfortunately also noticed my gas bottle is running low and need to get a refill :(

mentaldental

Post by mentaldental » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Hawkinspm wrote:I have a few where the lids have to be the 'right' way around to get a good seal. Some need more pressure than others as well - 20 psi normally does the job though.

I have been looking at the red lid seals from candirect - I believe they are meant to be softer to get a seal easier - anyone tried them ?
Yes I have. I found them worse than the original black one. I too up the pressure to form the seal. One that's done you can drop the pressure back to what you want.