Stripping an Angram

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JabbA

Stripping an Angram

Post by JabbA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:54 pm

I won a rather tatty, nasty smelling Angram CO beer engine off of the 'bay and am going to lovingly restore it to it's former glory. I've seen a few posts round these parts with people rebuilding them. I've got most of it pieces and gave them a quick clean but I can't seem to get the wooden plinth and handle separate, any pointers chaps and chapetts?

Oh, and what's best for removing years of rust from bolts, is a can of Coke going to do it?

Cheers,
Jamie

Manx Guy

Re: Stripping an Angram

Post by Manx Guy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi,

Good luck with your project..
I too have a old angram which I got of fleabay... Mine is surprising functional if a little cosmeticaly tatty...

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as all Ihad to do on reeipt of mine was install the handle and run some cleaner thru it a couple of times....

Do you plan to use it with a polypin?

I'm sure many of us are keen to hear how you get on...
:)

Guy

beermonsta

Post by beermonsta » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:15 pm

The handle on my angram was held in place by a long threadded screw running down the centre. For me I unscrewed the Top brass piece, which allowed the main metal handle itself to slide up and off, which allowed the lower brass pieces to slide off. IIRC then I had to unscrew the thread itself. This expose two screws which held the plate benith the plinth on.

Kurust - it converts the rust into a stable compound and stops futher rust. I would consider getting a tap and die set to re-cut the threads if they are sticking really badly. You could always just use the nut on the bolt, some oil and slowly try to get the nut to re-cut the thread until it screws on/off cleanly.

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Cheers Guy,

I'm going to try and get a cornie set-up working as I've got a fridge set-up for two cornies, but I'd give polypins a go if that'd work better. I took some pics when I had it apart on Saturday, will post them when I get round to it!

Cheers,
Jamie

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi Beermonsta,

Cheers for the tip! I had a good go at shifting the little brass nipple :oops: :D on top on the wooden handle but couldn't get it to shift. I did think about getting some GT85 on it but don't want to stain the wood :-k I think I'll try wrapping a bike inner tube round it and attacking it with a pair of mole grips!

All the nuts and bolts came off OK, just want to spruce them up with out the hassle of trying to match them up to new ones! Will have a look at the Kurust stuff, thanks.

Cheers,
Jamie

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Don't forget (overlook) that the pivots on Angram beer engines are usually held in place by concelled allen nuts. So before bashing the living daylights out of your pumps, just check there's not a retaining allen nut holding it in place 8)
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 am

Cheers Waffty,

I noted from an earlier topic that their is a grub screw holding the upper linkage in place, but I've not found one on for the handle pivot. Hopefully it'll all become clear when I get round to getting the handle off (busy week this week!)

Cheers,
Jamie
Last edited by JabbA on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:10 am

JabbA wrote:Cheers Wafty,

I noted from an earlier topic that their is a grub screw holding the upper linkage in place, but I've not found one on for the handle pivot. Hopefully it'll all become clear when I get round to getting the handle off (busy week this week!)
The grub screw for the main pivot is under the threaded bar that holds the handle in place, so you need to get the handle off, the (threaded) bar out and the grub screw removed.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:13 am

I thought that might be the case!

Cheers,
Jamie

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Good luck with the rebuild. You'll be hard pressed to get any help from Angram themselves,but there are other companies that rebuild which are willing to dispense of their knowledge.
Here's an o-ring thread I had put up earlier:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29402&hilit=+ring
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Also wanted to mention that a regulator from a gas/propane grill can serve as a cheap cask breather. As it's purpose is to take the propane bottle's output and step it down to 1 psi.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Cheers for the heads-up with the o-rings Fly. I'm going to be using a demand vlave AKA check valve for use with cornies.

Cheers,
Jamie