Just bought my first beer engine

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
BrewChron

Just bought my first beer engine

Post by BrewChron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 am

It's a new, unopened Angram CO that I got off ebay for 80 GBP (I'm in the US so no sign for your currency). It had a "buy now" option for that amount, but the other one that's still for sale doesn't have that, it's just got the regular bidding. Here's a link in case anyone is interested. Of course you guys don't have to pay 100 GBP for shipping! Now I just need a cask breather so I can use it with my corny kegs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Angam-Beer-Hand-P ... 19c331a44a

jim williams

Re: Just bought my first beer engine

Post by jim williams » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 am

BrewChron wrote:It's a new, unopened Angram CO that I got off ebay for 80 GBP (I'm in the US so no sign for your currency). It had a "buy now" option for that amount, but the other one that's still for sale doesn't have that, it's just got the regular bidding. Here's a link in case anyone is interested. Of course you guys don't have to pay 100 GBP for shipping! Now I just need a cask breather so I can use it with my corny kegs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Angam-Beer-Hand-P ... 19c331a44a
Nice! I get all my cask stuff from Paul at UKBrewing.com

next you need to invest in some real casks. There really is a big difference. I was never truly satisfied with the corny setup. Once I switched to casks (I have 3 pins and a firkin), it made a big difference. I think it had alot to do with venting technique.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:46 pm

You may try using a the propane regulator for a gas grill. Supposedly its a demand valve that reduces the pressure of the propane to 1atm. Just like a cask breather! I actually have a cask breather and haven't tried the propane regulator.
Good luck with the engine!
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

JontyR

Post by JontyR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 pm

I would have thought you'd need far more pressure than you'd get from a cask breather to dispense beer from a corny. I've not used my new cornies with my beer engine but my plan was to set the gas pressure as low as possible and then use a check valve http://www.barleybottom.com/menu/product/&ID=116 in the beer line to prevent the gas pressure from forcing beer through the beer engine.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:00 pm

The breather keeps a blanket of CO2 on top of the beer. The beer engine is pulling the beer out of the corny. No pressure needed on the corny to dispense.
Its all ball bearings and 40w motor oil.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

JontyR

Post by JontyR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for that Flytact - I didn't realise you could draw the beer out of a corny, I assumed through the other set ups I've seen on here with guys using the check valve that you had fo force it out.

Very handy to know!

bettyswallocks

Post by bettyswallocks » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm

If you want to keep it simple draw your beer from a polypin. 10 litre ones are great and beer will be fine in them for a couple of weeks. Attach your pipe from the beer engine to the tap on the polypin using a jubilee clip. Fill it up from the secondary when its cleared and make sure you squeeze all the air out. When you have drawn a few pints off and drinking over for the night just close the tap for the night. Even better if you have time to run water through the pipe then its all clean for next day. cheers