Beer keg

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
darran1970

Beer keg

Post by darran1970 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi
I have just brought the remains of an old pub with shut down in December and is being converted into flat there where some old beer kegs in the seller which I also had but is there any way of using them as a pressure barrel I usally use corny's but want to up my beer supply, please help.
Many thanks

cozy

Re: Beer keg

Post by cozy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 pm

The Only way to fill them is to turn them upside down and fill them from a cornie under pressure,but remember to open the pressure valve to let the air out.
Hope this helps.......

Nice cup of tea lol

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:13 pm

cozy wrote:The Only way to fill them is to turn them upside down and fill them from a cornie under pressure,but remember to open the pressure valve to let the air out.
Hope this helps.......

Nice cup of tea lol
Hmm

There are ways of using them, but you need to remove the spear, after releasing the pressure
The pressure this must be done first otherwise you are about to create a missile
Then you can clean, refill and put spear back in

Look up sankey keg spear removal
You would then need a keg coupler

Obviously you need to check the legalities
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 am

It's unlikely you own the kegs, even though they were in the pub that you bought.

Kegs are owned by breweries and that are not too happy when they go missing as they are expensive.

If you are unsure all Kegs have ID numbers on them, I would contact kegwatch.co.uk to ask for their advice on what to do with them.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:05 pm

But if you do keep them...
Turn one into a boiler and the other into a giant corny. You'll need a welder. I've seen pictures online somewhere of a 1/2 barrel fitted with a corny lid.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

cozy

Post by cozy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 pm

This is how to fill your keg:NON sankey keg,sankey keg can be done by taking them apart.
1.Put your keg coupler on but don`t clamp it on fully, and connect 2 loose hoses one to the inlet and one to the outlet, put them into a bucket, connect your keg coupler down to release all the liquid and gas.You may need more gas to get all the liquid out.
2.When your keg is empty fill your corny with cleaning solution and add some pressure.
3.Turn your keg upside down with the keg coupler fully home,connect your corny`s out hose to the the AIR INLET on the keg coupler,this will then fill your keg with cleaning solution,if you put your hand over the outlet tube on the keg you can feel the air coming out!so liquid is going in and air coming out!!once you have the cleaning liquid in you can unplug the corny from the keg and release the keg coupler,and give it a good shake.
4.Once your keg is clean, clamp the keg coupler down and make sure its the right way up, add pressure to make the cleaning solution come out!Now just repeat to rinse with cold water.
5.When you`ve finished filling beer into the keg,when its upside down,remember that theres no pressure until you turn it back upright then you can add your co2 pressure.

This seems a long winded task as you need a corny to do it but a keg holds a lot more beer than a corny

This does work but the kegs will only hold 80 psi max so i would only use 12-20 psi

=D>