lidl jam maker

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
texteditor

lidl jam maker

Post by texteditor » Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 pm

This looks like a 27 litre boiler for £39.99 what do people think?

staplefordbill

Re: lidl jam maker

Post by staplefordbill » Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm

It's been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33287
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34067
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34063
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34064

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 pm

It's an ideal first boiler if you are new to the gig, though it's not particularly great at holding a good boil.

Perfect for a HLT I understand, less than ideal for a boiler in 3v situations.
For BIAB it's done me okay for my first few, but I plan to upgrade to a better boiler before my next one.

Can be modified to improve the boil easily enough, (with caution - you risk breaking it)

I don't regret buying mine, it's got me into BIAB - but after about 6 brews I am ready to replace. I only brought it to see how I got on with the procedure, was worth £40 to see if I enjoyed it or not.
I can't speak on 3V, but there is a sparge bag available that fits it perfectly making a basic, introductory BIAB set up available for a quite reasonable price.

Naturally, if you are an experienced brewer then it might be less use to you, and my advice is thus... complete garbage. :)
Needs more Cowbell.

texteditor

Post by texteditor » Thu May 19, 2011 7:15 am

staplefordbill wrote:It's been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33287
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34067
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34063
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34064
What does that mean?
texteditor

fatnurse

Post by fatnurse » Thu May 19, 2011 8:27 am

stick each one at the end of:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/

Telford Brew

Post by Telford Brew » Sun May 22, 2011 8:52 am

Shadowknight - I'm also keen to try out BIAB for the 1st time and interested in your comments. Are you upgrading due to size or because you dont think that using this a boiler is all that great? I'd be happy with the brewlength produced but would you recommend getting a stock pot as opposed to this (I'm struggling to source a decent sized pot for around £40).

Cheers

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:27 am

Telford Brew wrote:Shadowknight - I'm also keen to try out BIAB for the 1st time and interested in your comments. Are you upgrading due to size or because you dont think that using this a boiler is all that great? I'd be happy with the brewlength produced but would you recommend getting a stock pot as opposed to this (I'm struggling to source a decent sized pot for around £40).

Cheers
The Malt Miller does a 33l stainless steel pot with lid for £45 which I bought for BIAB but after second thoughts I took it back and paid an extra tenner for the 50l one.

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 am

Telford Brew wrote:Shadowknight - I'm also keen to try out BIAB for the 1st time and interested in your comments. Are you upgrading due to size or because you dont think that using this a boiler is all that great? I'd be happy with the brewlength produced but would you recommend getting a stock pot as opposed to this (I'm struggling to source a decent sized pot for around £40).

Cheers
Does an 'okay' job but for me, the boil is not that great. Still - I don't regret buying it, it's got me started.
If you can source a reasonable boiler designed for the job, I would vote for that. Failing that, the Lidl one will make beer. Even if you upgrade in future, it could still function as part of a brewery - either as a HLT, or some bizarre masher in a hybrid 2 vessel set up with a decent boiler in the future. (Defeating the point of BIAB, but you know what I mean!)

For £40 though, you should get your money's worth, in my opinion. Especially if you don't fancy mucking around with electrics and hob-BIAB isn't an option.
Needs more Cowbell.

Telford Brew

Post by Telford Brew » Sun May 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Well I've taken the plunge and purchased - only £29.99, so well chuffed. Now then next question, which I hadn't consider properly, whats the best way to chill the wort? I cant really afford a wort chiller at the moment, so could I transfer post boil into my plastic fermenter and then chill this in an ice bath?

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Sun May 22, 2011 4:43 pm

You could leave it in the boiler and let it cool enough to transfer to the FV - seal and add yeast when it reaches optimum temp.
Sit the FV in the cold bath or leave overnight, add yeast in the morning, why worry. :)
Needs more Cowbell.

art.b

Post by art.b » Sun May 22, 2011 5:28 pm

you can no-chill it ..

by sealing it in plastic jerry cans until its cooled, or your ready to use it.... 8)

Telford Brew

Post by Telford Brew » Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 pm

cheers guys - think I worry too much

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Plastic jerry cans are cheap too - if you look hard enough.
Needs more Cowbell.

edgearsenal
Piss Artist

Post by edgearsenal » Sun May 22, 2011 11:12 pm

telford brew are you from telford if so i am to which lidi did you get the boiler from the telford one

Telford Brew

Post by Telford Brew » Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 am

I am indeed from Telford and got the jam maker from the Lidl in Hadley. I actually got it on the Sunday (day before they were due to go on sale) and the guy had said they had already shifted a few, so not sure if any still in stock?