Induction hob

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
alix101
Under the Table

Induction hob

Post by alix101 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 am

Ive been looking at the best way to heat 100l brew length and i came accross the 3kw portable induction hob, has anyone tried this, before i waste more money, they can boil 2 l in 11 seconds and use less energy all seems good if it works!!
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Induction hob

Post by Kev888 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 am

If its like a normal induction hob its 'very' dependent on your pot; some pots with thin bottoms or unhelpful grades/types of metal don't respond well to inductive heating. I don't know for certain but I'd imagine the very thin pots many homebrewers use wouldn't be that great, and if its aluminium probably not much mileage at all. So probably best to check that out before you buy.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 am

You can use stainnless steel pots, but ill check out the grade and if it matters.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am

Yep, probably wise. I looked for a pressure cooker some time back and even of those that detailed their hob compatibility, many of the stainless ones didn't claim to be suitable for induction so I guess there must be some attribute needed over and above just being stainless.

Cheers,
Kev
Kev

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:37 pm

The attribute you are looking for is, does your pot allow magnets to stick to it, as the concept works on magnetic induction. If a magnet sticks to it your in business. One other thing to be aware of is how flat the bottom of the pot is, below a certain surface area some hobs may think it is a small object like keys and the built in safety measures will kick in and not heat. I have one in my kitchen and before hand I cooked with and swore by gas as the best way of cooking. I am now totally sold on these devices the speed, control and efficiency of induction hobs is quite amazing.

One other question to ask your supplier is does the hob have the ability to decide how long it will run for at a given temp (here of course I'm thinking boiling) before again safety measures kick in and turn the hob off.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Apart from the issues selecting suitable vessels, induction hobs are some way short of 100% efficient, even under ideal conditions. Whilst they can be better than other hob types, they will not use less energy than an immersion element - which is virtually 100% efficient.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:26 pm

The one i was looking at cuts out after 2 hrs, and i thought they would preform better than an immersion!!