Carb stones

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
LeeH
Under the Table

Carb stones

Post by LeeH » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Where can you buy 0.5 micron stone?

Thanks.

Lee
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Carb stones

Post by LeeH » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am

Anyone?
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: Carb stones

Post by jmc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:01 am

Hop & Grape to a 2 micron air stone
http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/det ... TA20069953

Craftbrewer in Oz do a 0.5 micron version
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=896

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm

I believe H&G can also do you a 0.5 micron stone, they just don't advertise it on the website.

But the thread title has got me wondering - what are you planning on using it for?
Cheers

Dunc

LeeH
Under the Table

Carb stones

Post by LeeH » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks very much.

I was going to put it in the corny to help the beer gas a little. I found a guide that suggested it helped with the nitrogen on US site.

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Never heard of anybody doing that, but I suppose it would work... You do need to be very careful with these stones though, they block very easily. Never handle with your bare hands and never immerse them without gas running through them.

I'm not entirely convinced that there's a huge practical difference between a 0.5 micron stone and a 2 micron stone...
Cheers

Dunc

LeeH
Under the Table

Carb stones

Post by LeeH » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Hmm, they don't sound very practical then....

Maybe i could try just a bog standard plastic aquarium diffuser do you think? As they are going to live permanently in kegs.

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Might be worth a shot, but I'd be worried about them dissolving...

I don't use cornies myself, but loads of others do and I've never heard of anybody using an airstone in one... I think you might be over-thinking this. The gas will get into solution just fine without faffing around with a diffuser.
Cheers

Dunc

boingy

Post by boingy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Yep, just keep pressure on the keg and it will carbonate just fine. If you want to speed it up, use higher pressure and/or colder beer. If you really want to speed it up, roll the cornie up and down your garden and keep adding more gas.

LeeH
Under the Table

Carb stones

Post by LeeH » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Ok, cheers.
Here us the link to the infomation i have been reading.

http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/a ... carb-beers

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 am

I might have missed something but that article suggests attaching the carb-stone to the out tube of the corny, that will require a shortening or bending of the tube!!! i have only a few mm clearence if any at the bottom of my out tubes?

no mention of removing it so your beer will be serverd thru the carb stone?? surly it will clog..

I tried the filtering once.. 5 micron and then 1 micron cartridge filters inline, the flow slowed n stopped i upped the gas, result a trickle more and then atomised beer everywhere,

are you using a screened stout tap, if not pm me i had one on ebay for a tenner start and no one wanted it..
whats the effect/texture your after?

ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

LeeH
Under the Table

Carb stones

Post by LeeH » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Fil, it must be a typo as like you say it will just clog. They must mean in.

Yes i have a stout faucet, its a standard euro pub type tap with a creamer inside the spout.

Im after and have actually got a nice cream flow woodfordes wherry.

Im just always looking to improve things and i came across that article.

Fil

Post by Fil » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:02 pm

hi lee good to hear its an improvement your looking at and not a problem your looking for a solution to....

attaching it to the in tube would require inverting the keg to pressurise and pass gas thru the beer tho?
i think they mean what they say, or i missed the bit about inverting the keg?

removing the stone could be done thru opening the release valve and pulling the out post and tube to remove the stone before resealing and presurising

its an interesting idea as u say i wouldnt punt a keg full of valuable beer on it tho ..

LeeH
Under the Table

Carb stones

Post by LeeH » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Fil wrote:hi lee good to hear its an improvement your looking at and not a problem your looking for a solution to....

attaching it to the in tube would require inverting the keg to pressurise and pass gas thru the beer tho?
i think they mean what they say, or i missed the bit about inverting the keg?
I thought the idea was to inject the nitrogen directly into the beer through the diffuser to aid the nitrogen dissolve into the beer the best it can. So inverting the keg so the stone was no in the solution would be pointless wouldn't it?

A quote from step 3......

.....Make sure your beer is cold (between 34° and 38° F) and connect the mixed gas supply to the carbonating stone and set the pressure regulator to 30 psi. Gas will bubble though the beer until the headspace pressure reaches 30 psi. After the headspace pressure is at 30 psi, slowly loosen the pressure- relief fitting on the top of the keg until you hear a very low flow of gas escaping from the fitting. Allow the mixed gas to slowly bubble through the beer....

I'very new to this game so maybe I'm missing something. But I like to bounce ideas off more experienced members on here

Fil

Post by Fil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:15 am

crossed wires, probably my fault,
The other piece of equipment that is very important is a carbonation stone. I recommend the type of stone that can be connected to a stainless-steel rod and attached to the “out” fitting on a Cornelius soda keg.
Re reading its still not clear to me what they mean :) replace the out tube with another SS tube? , is the "out fitting" the post or the end of the dip tube??

I thought you meant it was a typo attaching the stone to the out tube and they meant the in tube.
The in tube being short and in the gas headspace means if attached there, it would be in the gas headspace, not in the beer? in order to bubble the gas thru the beer the keg would then need inverting?

on some cornys i have replaced the out tubes with short in tubes so i can attach soft silicone foodsafe tube and a float allowing me to pull from the top of the keg, using such tube to submerge the carb stone attached to your standard gas in tube could be easier than modding your out tubes.